Work work work work work work work work work...
Wednesday, October 16, 2013
Repeat, ad nauseum.
I'm glad that I started this sparky journey in the Summer, when things are a little slower and less stressful. I had an opportunity to try and build some habits (and if not habits, principles or guidelines) that are now helping me stay on track...
* When in doubt, I can choose water. Water is a good choice. Plain, ordinary, nothin' fancy, water. If I can't decide what to drink, that works.
* I know from experience that tasting something because it looks good isn't a good enough reason to finish it if it doesn't actually taste good.
* I know that I shouldn't allow myself to get hungry enough that I make poor decisions about what to eat. It's never the case that I'm really "starving". I should always be able to make better choices than throwing all choice out the window. I can eat less of the best option available until I get to the next better option. And I can almost always find a better option, even if I'm running to catch a flight, or if I have to delay lunch to be ready for a meeting.
* I know that enjoying the taste of bacon is not sufficient reason to eat lots and lots (and lots) of it. I can enjoy the taste of two pieces instead of many.
* And, of course, I know that this life isn't a rehearsal - I don't get to make these choices while I wait to lose weight or get fit and then TA-DA!!! I'll be a different size and at a different level of health and I'll magically be able to go back to my old ways. This is the way it is: I will work to make better choices. I will have days when that's easy, and days when that's hard. I will get to eat bacon, or taste icky but lovely desserts, and I will make choices not to eat more because doing so isn't worth having to lose the weight I gain.
So. Work, work, and more work...all while trying to live the life I live.