Monday, October 14, 2013
I tried my hand at working with a real coconut this week. Getting the water out and opening the coconut was easy. Its not like I expected it to just fall open. I knew it would be work when I bought it.
My difficulty came today when I tried to make the coconut milk. I had already chopped up the coconut (I didn't bother with making flakes) the other day, so that wasn't the problem. It was that the recipe on wikihow made no sense. It had me soak the coconut in water with a 4 to 1 ratio for four hours. It was so confusing. I wish I would have done the boil method. I sort of ended up doing that because the soaking was just not going anywhere for me. I didn't know what to do with all that water. It was too much water to make coconut milk out of. It totally ruined the milk- although it still tastes like coconut a little. I used it for my coffee tonight. The flour, however, turned out great! I'm excited to try baking with it!
Next time I'll use a different recipe for coconut milk.
On another note, today I made homemade granola! Super yummy! Walnuts and Cranberries! Mmm!
Next task- Pumpkin, Butternut Squash, and more yogurt. And juice too.