100,000-149,999 SparkPoints 110,744


Sunday, October 13, 2013

It’s been a very hectic two weeks. J was discharged from the Rehab Hospital on 9/28. The whole thing was stressful! The staff told him “You are going home on Saturday.” He had it in his mind that he was going back to his home, and got VERY mad when I told him he was coming home with me, at least for a month. We argued for about an hour before I walked out. I told him to call his Hanai Mom and talk to her, and then let me know what he decided. I called her when I got home, and we talked for about half an hour. We met up the next day to explain to J why we wanted him to stay with me while he finishes with his recovery. He wasn’t happy, but he did express understanding. I think he had it in his head that he would go home, rest a couple of days, and then resume his normal life. He had a rude awakening when just going to Walmart to pick up his prescription left him totally exhausted his first day home. He has made a lot of progress since then. We are hopeful that he may be able to return to his regular life sooner than anticipated.
His Jaw is still wired shut, and it will be for at least another two and a half weeks, but we have managed to get enough calories into him so he hasn’t lost any more weight. That was a concern, since he lost about 15 pounds in the beginning, and at 6’ 2”, dropping below 180 makes him look slightly anorexic. My mom promised him a meal at the restaurant of his choice, and I promised Buffalo Wild Wings, so he has two “dreaming of it” meals coming to him.

I haven’t been as active on SP, and haven’t been tracking, but I am still trying to exercise every day. It helps that J has therapeutic exercises he is supposed to do every day, and by adding resistance bands, they become a good strength work out for me. I need to get back to planning and recording my meals. We have had Doctor’s or PT appointments 3 out of the 4 days I had off since he came home on the 28th, and without a car, a good portion of our days have been spent on the bus. That has made planning and cooking meals even more of a chore. This coming week will be just a bad, plus I have an appointment for Pops as well. At least I will be on Vacation for two weeks when my shift ends today.

Here’s to hanging on!
Share This Post With Others
Member Comments About This Blog Post
    In times like this, hanging on is good. You're maintaining the status quo as best you can given the stress of the situation. Praying that his recovery continues well at home and that these two weeks you have off will bring you relief so that you can focus on taking care of your son and yourself.

    1616 days ago
    Praying for you and your son as you walk through this 'tough patch'. I can tell from your words that you understand, and are helping him understand, that this too, shall pass. But it can be SO HARD when we are in the midst of difficult times. So hang in there - you can do it!!
    emoticon emoticon
    Great to hear that he is progressing well, and being with you is definitely the right thing - thank God he has you with your medical knowledge!! Getting back to normal again will be a blessing for both of you, but I am so glad for you that you have vacation during this time!!
    Thanking of you, and wishing you continued success as you support J in getting fully back on his feet!
    emoticon emoticon
    1617 days ago
    It is so difficult helping someone when they don't full appreciate their own circumstances....Bless you for being there for him...
    1620 days ago
    Good to hear that J is home with you and making progress! Sometimes it's hard to understand how long it takes to recover and get back to "normal". Sending you positive thoughts and prayers,
    1620 days ago
  • Add Your Comment to the Blog Post

    Log in to post a comment

    Disclaimer: Weight loss results will vary from person to person. No individual result should be seen as a typical result of following the SparkPeople program.

More Blogs by HWNHMMBRD