Saturday, October 12, 2013
PUMPKIN FYI'S that was posted to my facebook wall:
1. Pumpkin is a Superfood! With only 30 calories per cup and 7 grams of fiber...it's loaded with vitamin A and antioxidant carotenoids, particularly alpha and beta-carotenes, it’s a good source of vitamins C, K, and E, and lots of minerals, including magnesium, potassium, and iron. Low carb and really good for you. Plus delicious in fall recipes!
2. They have have anti-inflammatory properties. High in beta carotene, pumpkins exhibit anti-inflammatory properties. This is great for people suffering from arthritis, muscle sprains, painful periods, and other conditions that may be treated with painkillers.
3. Did ya know that fiber, magnesium, potassium (more so than bananas!), zinc, iron and lutein – all of which work to improve individuals’ eyesight. Move over carrots!
4. The carotenoids make is a great cancer deterrent!
5. The vitamins listed also are great at keeping wrinkles at bay!
When you are looking for a pumpkin for eating, use one that is heavier. The lighter ones tend to be drier. So smaller is better.