I sure wish I could have actually done this--tell myself things I know now!
Here is what I would have said:
1. I am not my weight! People can be overweight and still be attractive and successful!
2. I don't have to eat all that my Mom cooked. It was her way to show love. I would ask her to talk about her own life more and do other activities with me .
3. Howdy Doody time and the many hours after that can be for other activities besides lying in front of the TV--eating.
4. Reading books is a good activity but not for hours and hours everyday. Get up and out and move. I did do lots of activities outside actually. I don't know why what I did did not keep me trim. I guess I just ate even more than what that burned off.
5. Our grocery store was attached to our house! I would tell myself to stay out of the foods in that store. Candy, pastries, sandwich stuff, cookies, fruit, any food I wanted was readily available. I guess I would tell my parents to stop me when I would overdo the food.
6. Beg my 3 brothers to take me places. My 3 older brothers paid absolutely no attention to be and I did not go to them at all either. I was born when they were teens and even older. So they were not at all interested in a younger sister. I am not sure even now how to handle that.
7. I had a car at age 16 because my Mom did not drive and my Dad would not take me anywhere. The excuse was the grocery store that was open 7:00 am to 10:00 pm every day of the year. Now I would tell myself to go use that car to get to interesting places.
8. Join activities at school both high school and college. I was a bookworm. I only did school work. In my free time I took naps or rode my bike or helped out at home. I did gardening when I was in high school That was probably one of the best tings I ever did with my free time. I had about 20 rose bushes! But maybe that was not all that appropriate for a high school kid.
9. I really needed role models to show me the fun in life. I still struggle to find fun stuff to do.
I need to cogitate on this topic some more. Maybe imagining me as a young person doing fun things would help me now find fun things to do. My younger sister does not seem to have any problem filling her life with fun activities. But...she is as obese as I am. Hmmm....