I meant to post this blog 90 days to New Year 2014... I am late - First Countdown is already started!
COUNTDOWN 1: 86 Days to New Year 2014
But First I am overdue for an update on my Go the Distance Challenge...
Report Date; Total to date; Total/report period
15 March 2013; 290 km/ 180 miles; 290 km/180 miles (includes Jan- Feb)
15 April ; 485 km/ 300 miles; 195 km/120 miles
31 May ; 830 km/ 519 miles; 345 km/215 miles
15 June ; 983 km/ 614 miles; 153 km/95 miles
3 July ; 1063 km/ 664 miles; 80 km/ 50 miles
31 July ; 1265k/ 790 miles; 216.6 km/ 135 miles
31 Aug ; 1514.5 k/ 941 miles; 249 km/ 155 miles
30 Sept ; 1780 k/ 1106 miles; 265.5 km/ 165 miles
I love the report generated by Spark! It is visual and this is a good source of motivation... Anyway - my last few months have been active!
My training for my races is going well. For August and September, most of my distance tracking was running and walking. I logged my bike rides too (about one/week with my DH Jeff; 13km each time)...
COUNTDOWN 2: 20 DAYS to Niagara Falls 27 Oct 2013
I need to log one more long run (35 k / 22 miles) before Race Day. I will do it Thursday morning, then it is pretty much tapering.
This morning, despite the rain, win and a chilly day (55F), not sleeping enough / 3.5 hours (I know - I keep repeating myself here, but last night my DH kept me up - he moves a lot because he is in pain due to a sport injury), I went for a 16k (10 miles) non stop run on an empty stomach! It was fine. I was very thirsty when I arrived but I felt I did what I was supposed to do - follow my training plan!
When I woke up, I did not feel like going. I got dressed and I read some inspirational posts. This one caught my attention: 5 Reasons to RUN Tomorrow Morning!
And then I clicked: Stop thinking tomorrow, just get up and GO.
The 5 Reasons suggested by the author are:
1. Dedication... yeah, everyone in my house is in bed, but I just can't sleep anymore so may as well!
2. Solitude... This is my time. I run alone. No music - I am trying to be a "mindful" runner! I have to say that because I don't wear a belt, I have to plan my long runs as loops with a quick stop home for a sip of water. I tried to have my husband of daughter following me on my second loop but no luck. So next Thursday I will do my 22 miles ALONE! I will do 3 loops at work (I already mapped it out) with my own supply/ water station!
3. Energy... Well- It made me feel good. I agree that running usually make me feel better. The opposite is also true, skipping a run make me feel cranky and almost guilty!
4. Community... This morning, I saw one runner and 2 dedicated cyclists! Toward the end of my run (rain had stopped), I went by a few neighbors walking their dog (I am always nervous running by them!).
I was also thinking of Julie, my colleague who is also training for a 26.2 (her first!). She will do it one week before me and we follow a similar training plan... We are not training buddies because we don't have the same pace, however, we are keeping each other motivated... And as part of our training plan, we ran (four members of my unit - myself included)the Army Run HM - see last blogs.
(Carrie, Sebastien and Julie before the Army RUN HM 2013)
(Sebast, Carrie and I at the finish line!)
5. Sunrise... I do like to run and watch the moment when the sun rises above the horizon, through the fog. What I don't like is running in the dark, I don't feel to secure because cars are driving too fast on the county roads. My other option is the trails and I don't feel safe going there that early.
Getting some fresh air, even when it is cool and raining, is a good feeling; especially when you are done
! Because it is time for breakfast!
This morning, I bake a strawberry bread pudding (182 cal, 31 g Carbs, 3 gr Fat and 8 gr Protein); turning old hot cross buns and bread into warm and moist pudding topped with fresh strawberries that Maggie and I picked last weekend at the local farm...
I also baked Blueberries Bran muffins as I was having a morning chat with my Emma!
(she took the pic from her phone - so not the best quality but it made me smile!)
I also shared a recipe yesterday... Balsamic Quinoa Salad (with strawberries and feta cheese) . It was a side dishserved with steak and corn
but I have about 4 servings of left over so I will definitely have that for lunch this week...
Yeah, lunches are made and planned, ready to be tracked too!
For the recipe:
Finally - I have a few other countdowns ongoing...
COUNTDOWN 3: Emma is coming for a visit next week as we (in Canada) will celebrate Thanksgiving.
Meaning a nice visit but also planning for a special dinner (we will have 10 people around the table! ) The good think is : cooking is a family effort, DH Jeff, the girls and I will be in the kitchen!!!
COUNTDOWN 4: My mom and my step-father will come for a week (24-31 Oct) before they go south for the winter...
... More food! but It is ok, as long as I don't binge!
COUNTDOWN 5: VEGAS!!! Yeah, Jeff and I are going to Vegas for 4 nights one week after the end of the courses... This is a good reason to keep in track.
So, back to COUNTDOWN 1: 86 days to 2014...
My distance goal this year is to equal or go beyond last year = 1265 miles.
159 miles to go!
I am ready for the week, I am ready for bed! I need some
Looking forward to read your posts...
Tell me: In 90 Days...
What are your goals?