Saturday, October 05, 2013
Located twelve miles northeast of Brenham, it was founded in 1824 as Coles' Settlement. John Prince Cole was one of Stephen F. Austin's original "Old 300"|. He arrived in the area in 1822 but didn't receive his Mexican Land Grant until 1824. Colesf Settlement was later renamed "Independence". It became a Baptist religious and educational center of the Republic of Texas. In 1846 it became the first site of Baylor University and the University of Mary Hardin-Baylor. In 1854, President Sam Houston was baptized in the Independence Baptist Church. His wife, Margaret Lea Houston, and their oldest son, Sam Houston Jr. are both buried at Independence. The town council refused the railroad a right of way through town and as trade moved to cities along the railroad the town died. In 1876 Baylor University moved to Waco and Mary-Hardin Baylor moved to Belton where they had rail passenger service for the students. Below are pictures from Windmill Hill, the Baylor University campus location.
These pictures are from the Mary-Hardin Baylor location. The columns are replica not original.
The rest of the walk was on country roads and included a cemetery.
We had a great time.