The short summary: I did not lose any weight this month. I did really well for the first half of the month, and then I let stress sidetrack me into overeating -- more than once.
Looking at September and how I did, results were:
1. Lose 6 pounds. NOT ACHIEVED. Weekly weigh-ins -- I weighed in 3 out of 4 weeks.
2. Work to reduce caffeine intake. NOT ACHIEVED too many energy beverages
3. Continue GERD related diet changes. No wine or alcohol; no rich desserts; no overeating. MOSTLY ACHIEVED but occasional lapses.
4. Work to improve portion control. MEASURE portions. DID BETTER BUT NOT PERFECT.
5. Calcium and Vitamin D daily. TOTAL SUCCESS
6. Weight bearing exercise daily; increase strength training; stretch 2-3 x weekly TOTAL SUCCESS on cardio; better on strength training but still not 3x per week; did well on stretching for first 2 weeks and then I lapsed.
Overall these are good goals and I will try to achieve them again in October!! October goals are:
1. Lose 5 pounds. No weekly weigh-ins – I’ll be away on a cruise for the last half of the month. I will be traveling a total of 20 days and I am NOT taking a scale with me!
2. Work to reduce caffeine intake. I need to take this SERIOUSLY if I am going improve my sleep patterns! (I think the cruise will be a golden opportunity to break my bad caffeine habit!)
3. Continue GERD related diet changes. No wine or alcohol; no rich desserts; no overeating. (Odd as it may seem, I think I will do better at these dietary changes on the cruise than when dealing with the day to day stresses of work)
4. Work to improve portion control. (Again I think I will do okay on this on the cruise – though I obviously won’t be measuring. My travel friend eats very small portions which will help)
5. Calcium and Vitamin D daily.
6. Weight bearing exercise daily; increase strength training; stretch 2-3 x weekly. (I will use the ship's gym and take full advantage of fitness classes!)
Speaking of work related stress – I had to deal with a woman who was very threatening in a meeting (she got angry, turned red, told another person “your suggestion deserves a gun”). Even more unbelievable – she was upset when I told her the gun reference was inappropriate (I was chairing that section of the meeting). Very upsetting for all, and not a good experience. Luckily two other board members also spoke up and told the gun reference lady that she has to treat it like the airport, she can’t even talk about guns. It took yet another upset observer telling her “You are making me very uncomfortable” for her to shut up and stop defending her freedom of speech. (This situation occurred in a workplace with a zero tolerance for guns and/or threats of violence, in front of several managers.) After the Navy yard and several other high profile mass shootings, implied or specific gun threats are not okay EVER.
So I am very ready for my vacation! I’m going on a cruise of the Mediterranean Sea, from Barcelona to Nice, Venice, Rome, Amalfi Coast, Pompeii, Ravenna, Dubrovnik, then back to Barcelona. I worry of course that mom may take a turn for the worse again and I will have to fly back to California. But she seems fairly stable and happy; she told me her leg is improving.