Wednesday, October 02, 2013
Before you read the rest of this post, go grab a glass of water and drink it while you read this.
In no particular order, my "skinny rule" #3: Look at your urine daily.........because:
Most people don't drink enough water and are often dehydrated. Are you wondering how much water a day you should drink? Experts differ in their advice: 8 or 10 or 20 glasses per day, even up to one gallon a day are amounts I have seen suggested as the amount necessary to be adequately hydrated. My rule of thumb: look at your urine: Crystal clear or very light yellow urine means you are well-hydrated. Dark yellow or yellow-orange urine means you're dehydrated. Generally, I drink 8-10 glasses of water a day.
Ways to increase your water consumption:
1. Place a small covered glass of water by your bed stand before going to sleep. In the morning before you get out of the bed, drink the water.
2. Have a glass of water with every meal.
3. Use a straw to drink your water. You drink more quickly with a straw.
4. Every time you use the bathroom, drink a glass of water.
5. Fill a jug with the amount you want to drink daily. Drink 10% of the jug each hour of the day until the jug is empty.
6. Carry a reusable water bottle with you and commit to drink and refill it during the day.
7. When offered a drink, ask for water.
8. Add a lemon slice, lime slice, cucumber slice, or other fruit slice to enhance the taste. I would do this infrequently, just so you don't consume unnecessary calories.
9. Drink water before, during and after you exercise.
There are many other ways to increase your water intake. Make plans to drink your water daily. You may discover that by being sufficiently hydrated, some other health issues may disappear. Constipation, lightheadedness when standing up, general fatigue can be symptoms of dehydration. Drinking water helps your skin stay supple, helps your joints and muscles.
Have you finished drinking that glass of water I suggested you drink at the beginning of this post? Yes? Yay you!!!! No? Keep drinking and finish it. It's good for you.