Tuesday, September 24, 2013
Husband is taking the day off tomorrow and we need that, badly! Poor guy works so hard. The plan is to camp out for the day and watch movies (and yes, eat) and snooze. That's all he wants to do. Heck, I'll do whatever!
Today I had a consultation with my specialist in Portland. We basically talked about the next step and it looks like we'll be doing more testing. The Recurrent Pregnancy Loss panel and Karyotype testing (also for DH). Part of me hopes it's normal. Part of me hopes it comes back with something abnormal that would explain my losses and that could be treated. Fingers crossed karyotyping comes back normal...if not, it's absolutely on to IVF.
So then I went to talk to the lady about IVF financing and got the SHOCK OF MY LIFE. They have a 1-cycle, 2-cycle and 3-cycle deal. Basically, 2 cycles gets you a 5% discount, and 3 gets you a 10% discount. That's cash UP FRONT and you get nothing back if you pay for 3 cycles but it works after only 1. Cost? About 27K for one cycle, 42K for 2 cycles and 59K for 3 cycles. WTF. I did not stop saying holy s*** and holy f***. I know, very impolite. I couldn't help it. I never even fathomed $60,000 for IVF.
The benefits of 1 cycle is the price. Plus, any left-over frozen embryos can be used in the future. The benefit of more cycles, of course, is that if it requires more than one attempt, you are paying less per cycle...and with each cycle we'd potentially be saving a couple of embryos. So basically, any left over embryos could be used at a future date for a second baby...then we'd just have to pay the price of a transfer. So let's say we pay 60K and have a baby and frozen embryos, well, 2 years later I could do a transfer for 8-10K and overall, it'd cost us 70K. If I do 1 cycle and don't have success, I'd have to pay another 27K for the next cycle AND, I'd have no embryos for the future, which means if we'd want another baby via IVF, we'd potentially spend another 50K for a total of close to 100K for 2 babies. There are pros and cons to both. 1 cycle is risky. I think we'd go for 2 at 42K and hope it works and with enough embryos for a later date. The prices are so high because that's worst-case scenario: with ICSI and genetic testing and expensive meds. I guess we'll just wait and see.
In the meantime, I've got 4 more Clomid cycles to go before we move on to IVF. Crossing all fingers and toes.
On a positive note, I've lost a few pounds. Yay! Must keep it up!
Shandi is doing well with her chemo and I haven't had to give her pain meds in 2 weeks. Yeah!