Some things I've learnt since running
Monday, September 23, 2013
I started running last year doing a Couch to 5k plan and it changed my life...yes I know everyone says that but running has given me some real focus in my life, when I go running I feel free, I know I am doing something positive for myself and when I run, I don't feel depressed so my mental health is so much better.
I have writing a few things that I have learnt over the year since the first day I went out and wanted to share.
1. Smoking and drinking do not mix with running....if you want to quit either running is a great way to do it.
2. It doesn't matter how good the book, tv show, internet is - nothing beats a run
3. Your mind will want to give up long before your body needs too, keep pushing!!
4. A shin splint is not something you wear
5. Perception is everything - think you can't run 20 minutes? Its just a 1 min run repeated 20 times
6. Signing yourself up for a race will keep you motivated
7. You will soon learn to identify every leaf on every tree, every blade of grass, every stone on your running route
8. You become an expert at converting miles to km and vice versa
9. Support is everything...post about it, blog about it, write it on a message board, just don't do it alone
10. It doesn't matter how old, overweight, unfit, stupid you think you look - anyone can run. That includes you so what are you wating for??!!!