Friday, September 20, 2013
I appreciate each SparkFriend who responded to my blog two days ago asking what one thing you could do to improve your program. I recognized myself in several of the answers:
1. Strength Training was mentioned at least twice. I have no reason not to be doing core and arm ST, but I have been very inconsistent. I may need to see a doctor and/or physical therapist before trying leg strengthening again. I injured my left glute area in April running hills, thought it was totally healed, but re-tweaked it August 1st when I tried to strengthen it with lunges. I plan to take pen and paper tomorrow and get names and maybe numbers of professionals to contact by talking to runners in my Galloway group.
2. Counting everything including coffee creamer. Oh, yea, I'm guilty of usin.g a bit of powdered creamer in my coffee at the gym without counting it.
3. Sleep. I'm doing pretty good getting at least 7 hours each night except about twice a month when I have trouble sleeping. But aiming for 8 hours would be better. On Saturday my long runs' start time varies between 4:30am and 6am, so my bedtime varies on Friday.
4. Cutting down or out artificial sweetener. Honestly, I've cut back a lot, but recently my intake has gone up a bit. Need to address this continuing issue!
So I will:
1. do at least two arm and core ST session per week; consider glute treatment
2. count everything including coffee creamer
3. go to bed at 10pm Mon-Thurs, Sat & Sun; Friday will vary based on run time
4. make sure artificial sweetener intake is not increasing; think about further reducing it again
Thanks, SparkFriends, for such good ideas and reality checks! Hey, maybe is there one (or 4) more thing(s) you could do to improve your program?