Red and Black Knit Cro Sheen
large eye embrodery needle
RW reverse work
ds double stitch
1. Wind Black thread onto shuttle.
2. Start at top of head leaving long threads for making antennae later. Use red thread for ball thread. Pinch red thread with your left hand and drape it over the rest of your fingers and wrap it around your left pinky. Make chain of 3 ds (double stitch) using the black shuttle thread to make a red chain (see video).
3. RW (reverse by turning your work upside down). Make Ring of black thread by wraping the black thread completely around the left hand..Make 2 ds, large picot (lp) (see picot video), 2 ds, close. To close a ring, pull the shuttle thread and flaten and shape ring with your left hand. If the ring does not close it is probably because one of your knots is the wrong direction. Please note that when you make your knots the left middle finger should drop to loosen the thread around the left hand for a while. Then tighten and slide thread.
4. RW. Chain 5ds.
5. RW. Ring of 16 ds, close.
6. RW. Chain 7 ds.
7. RW. Ring 16 ds, close.
8. RW. Chain 6 ds, lp, 1 ds, small p, times 7.
9. Join to first picot on first ring of bug head.
10. RW. 1 ds, join to small picot, times 7 making center of bug wings.
11. One ds, join to large bottom picot of bug.
12. Now reverse the directions tatting to the top of the bug head.
13. Chain 6 ds, RW. R 16, chain 7 ds, Rw R 16, chain 5 ds, RW. Ring 2 ds. Join to first picot of head. RW. 3 ds. Tie threads together.
14. Make a square knot with black threads and clip them to the length of antennea that you want.
15. To finnish red threads: make a square knot and sew threads back into about four of the double sticthes made previously. Then clip closely. You may wish to put a drop of fray stop on the square knots.