Wednesday, September 18, 2013
Dear Spark People,
I've noticed, when I log on in the morning, that you have all these bright shining faces smiling at me in the Top Stories section of the start page. Every morning I am forced to see all this "happiness." Why does it irritate me? It's not because they are smiling - it's because they are so freaking skinny.
Models have a job of looking pretty for the camera. They have time to work out and think about what they eat. Maybe they waitress on the side - I don't know. What I do know is that a model is most likely not doing the following... all at the same time:
1. trying to fit 60 hours of work into a 40 hour week
2. trying to find enough time left over for relationships and family
3. fixing meals for multiple people (more often containing someone with an allergy)
4. go to school part-time to show the importance of education to their kids in addition to improving her life
5. avoiding temptations at work like the birthday party ... or just because it's Friday
6. in the little time and energy that remains - carve out space for herself
If one of your models is doing this, please let us know. It's super annoying to see her smiling at me when I'm pretty sure she can eliminate half of the list mentioned above.
Better yet... why don't you start using some of your real-life inspiration stories as models. You have a built in fan base right here of women who are beautiful in so many ways. Sure, they may not fit in a single digit dress, but they have so much depth. They have found out how gluten affects their diet. They have discovered how past hurts have affected their weight... and then done something about it. They have modeled exercise for their children so they won't have to go through the exact same struggles. They have put themselves through school without surviving on gummy bears, ramen noodles, and Mt. Dew.
These are the real models I want to see smiling at me. The ones who take life by the horns and say, "You are mine now buddy." So what if she wears a size 12 or 20? So what if her hair is grey? That woman is far more real to me than then women I see now. (For that matter, where are the men? I know there are plenty of men on this site.)
If you need somewhere to start... I'll be waiting my my phone and computer.