Monday, September 16, 2013
This is an update from blog “Learning the use of the Safety Squat Bar (SSB)”. The SSB has been a challenge for my squat efforts. Last Friday (Sept. 13) I was at the end of week five of a 12-week program; workouts on Mon, Wed, and Fri.
Of the 15-workouts accomplished thus far, Friday the 13th was only my 7th attempt with the use of the SSB. I got carried away; the prior Wed my max squat weight was 121 pounds so I decided to best my effort & go for 146 pounds. My control of the bar was good but I had to settle for 3 sets of 5 repetitions (3x5x146) as I ran out of gas and could not make the last two sets.
So the start of Week 6 – Saturday, September 14, 2013; 30-minutes Cardio before Breakfast; rested the remainder of the day & Sunday as back tensed up from Fridays Squats – won’t be doing 146 again until I work up to it. Considering progressing at 5 Lb. increments after reaching 126. That SSB is a challenge.
Monday, September 16, 2013; Squat 2x5x66lb, 1x3x86, 1x3x106, 1x5x116, 5x5x126 (Volume 51 reps for 4,708 pounds); 55-Degree Bench Press (OH) 2x5x45, 2x5x65, 3x3x85, (Volume 35-reps @ 1,865 Pounds); Deadlifts 2x5x135, 1x5x185, 1x5x205, 1x5x225 (Volume 30-Reps @ 4,425 Pounds). Total Volume 116 Reps for 10,998 Pounds).
The end result - Good workout; back was still a little tense from Friday’s squats so I dropped my Squat volume down by 1,266 Lbs. No sense in blowing out my lumbar spine. On the OH’s my right shoulder (replaced) gave me a twinge on reaching 85 pounds on the first set of 1x3x85; did not chance going for four and the set was curtailed. However I pressed on for an additional 2x3x85. Getting to 225 on my DL’s felt good; DL’s are my strong suit; arthritic hands will eventually have me using wrist hooks. Have a good lift, Earl