Friday, August 30, 2013
I've mentioned it before, but it bears repeating: before I started on my health journey on November 16th, I never knew what I would be putting into my mouth. What was dinner? What would I eat for lunch? What about snacks? I never planned out my meals, or if I did, it was something like Papa Murphy's pizza for dinner, leftovers for lunch.
The other problem I have is my cooking. I'm not a terrible cook, but neither am I a great one. I also have a limited selection of meals that I know I can make, and I struggle to add new ones to my recipe book. So my first step in preparing for Maintenance is building up a new cookbook filled with healthy recipes!
This health journey has given me a LOT of cool ideas, some of which include:
1. Stir-fry! (What a WONDERFUL way to get lots of veggies in your diet!)
2. Crustless pizza! (Turkey burgers + Lite dressing/Salsa + Mozzarella + Veggies = YUM)
3. Tuna Cucumber salad (I end up making it without much lettuce, focusing more on the cucumbers)
OK, so three's not a LOT, but it IS better than what I had, which was...eating out!
Point being, a good hearty portion of maintenance is planning and choosing your food wisely. Finding yummy recipes - some that can compensate for the unhealthy foods I may be craving - will help a lot. Or at least, that's what I'm hoping!
So I've done a few things to bulk up my recipe book:
1. SparkRecipe! Tons of recipes and lots of healthy ones too. I'm starting to compile them into the handy cookbook they have.
2. Buy a vegan cookbook. I'd like to try more vegan/vegetarian options, so my vegan friend recommended me a cookbook.
3. Ask other people. I've had lots of great ideas, from salads to main dishes.
But I always want more! (Because I'm greedy!) So, what is YOUR favorite healthy dish? The one that makes you feel almost wicked to eat, it is so good? Please share!!