10,000-14,999 SparkPoints 13,744

The Last 10 Days - Part I

Thursday, August 29, 2013

This blog will be split up into two separate blogs.

My husband arrived on August 18th from Afghanistan and by August 20th we were arriving in Tulsa, Oklahoma. On August 19th, we drove 12 hours from our town of Vicenza, Italy up to Kaiserslautern, Germany to catch a military flight back to Baltimore. From there, we were on our own getting back to Tulsa, which wasn't so difficult, just very expensive. By the time we arrived in Tulsa on Tuesday evening around midnight, we were exhausted. The next morning was grandmother's surgery, so we didn't have much time to sleep in.

Her surgery was pushed back until 12:30pm on Wednesday, August 21st and we sat around the hospital for hours waiting to hear word of her surgical progress. After three hours in surgery, she was sent to recovery and then another four hours later, we finally got to see her. Her surgery was a success and the cancerous kidney was removed with no issue. She was required to spend Wednesday-Monday morning in the hospital. Afterwards, depending on her abilities to walk well, she could be sent home instead of an extended stay in a rehab center.

Grandma was quite frightened that she may not make it through the surgery, but I had no doubts. For being 92 (almost 93) she is in excellent health. In fact, her doctor informed us that she is one of the healthiest patients he has encountered, especially for her age. I was glad to hear this, given the circumstances.

We visited grandma ever day for several hours and in between visits we each worked on graduate school homework, visited other family, made shopping trips and eat dinner out EVERY STINKING MEAL. Needless to say, not only was I exhausted from all the running around/flying everywhere, I gained 10lbs back of the 40lbs I had lost since June. I also ended up with severe edema in my legs and ankles from all the sitting and standing over the past week. I've already lost 4lbs in just two days from all the excess water weight I'm carrying. I really hope I shed the additional 6lbs in the next few days.

Now here is where the funny/hair pulling part comes in....

On the day we were to leave Tulsa, Sunday, August 25th, we arrive at the airport at 4:40am to check in for our 6am flight. We booked the tickets prior to leaving Germany for the flight back to the States. This meant, that we did not have a copy of our flight schedule, but I wasn't worried about that because I had written down flight numbers and times. We go to check in and they cannot find our reservation. I immediately start to panic. My husband is always so cool, calm and collect, but I'm quite the opposite. After looking through the system for 20 minutes, the United Airlines representative says to us, "we have you booked on a flight back on August 28th, not for the August 25th." I think I said just about every curse word there is in the book, because this meant that we were not going to make it back to Italy in time for my husband to make it back to Afghanistan before his 15 days of leave were up. On top of that, in order to change flights, it cost another $200 per ticket.

After working with us for another 30 minutes or so, we were booked on another flight, but this time we would have a 13 hour layover in Denver before making it to Baltimore. THIRTEEN FREAKING HOURS!!! We had no choice. We booked the flight and eventually arrived in Baltimore at 1:30am, which was followed by another 15 hour layover before our flight back to Germany. I'm not sure how many of you have had the lovely opportunity (*insert sarcasm here) to sit around or even trying to sleep in an airport for this amount of time, but it's not fun and I don't recommend it. Luckily for us, Baltimore's international terminal has some couches you can sleep on...IF you don't freeze to death first.

I always laugh at how fast my husband can fall asleep anywhere. It must be the solider in him from years prior because he can sleep on a plane, in a car, on trains, with kids screaming, people talking, dogs barking, and practically hanging upside down. NOT ME! I went for almost 48 hours with little to no sleep. I tried my hardest to sleep on the couches in the Baltimore airport, but I was creeped out and worried someone was going to steal my luggage/purse/laptop. I also do like being surrounded by a multiple strangers sleeping around me. I refer to these as the "Herd of Sleepers," for those of you get the "Walking Dead" reference. On top of that, I was dressed for summer, but apparently everyone at the Baltimore airport should be dressed for an Alaskan winter with their subzero temperatures in there. By 6am, I was booking it to the little news stand around the corner and buying a sweatshirt. Finally, after waiting around for what seemed like years, we loaded onto the plane for Germany and took off about 6pm on Monday night and arrived about eight hours later. This was followed by another 12 hour drive home to Italy. My husband and I both slept 14 hours straight and probably could have slept more.

Sadly, I put my husband back on a plane this morning to head back to Afghanistan, where he has roughly 75 days left of his deployment. I thought it would be hard to put him back on the plane, but I did quite well, I think because I know he will be home soon. Plus, it's the first deployment he's ever had to come home early for an emergency. Getting to see him for a about 10 days was nice.

On a positive note to the whole week's ordeal, I was able to hit up clothing stores in and around Tulsa and purchased myself a new wardrobe. I've lost enough weight to go down 2-3 pant/shirt sizes, depending on brand. That made me extremely happy and even more determined to continue on this weight loss journey of mine

For those of you who are my accountability partners, have no fear, I have not forgotten about you. I'll be writing you shortly to check in and make sure you're all doing well...a.k.a. cracking the whips (joking).

I hope everyone has a wonderful day and don't forget to keep on sparking!

Ciao Tutti!

Share This Post With Others
Member Comments About This Blog Post
    Yeah for new clothes I am excited for that day also.
    1661 days ago
    Congratulations on the new clothes and on the 40 pound loss! I hope the pounds you gained during this very stressful trip comes off easy. I am praying that the rest of your husband's deployment goes well and he returns safely.
    1661 days ago
    What an experience! Lawovers are a pain, but I luckily never had them that long, especially not 2 in a row. Congrats on the new wardrobe, I am sure you will loose those pesky 6 pounds really fast! emoticon
    1661 days ago
    1661 days ago
    I've been thinking about you! I'm sorry about the airport experience, but after years of being married to a soldier I can relate. I also have a husband that can sleep anytime, anywhere and it is the military in him! During the most painful part of childbirth, I heard snoring from the corner. Dh was standing, as if at attention, asleep and snoring...I was soo mad! LOL

    Congrats on the new clothes and don't worry about the extra pounds. This is a lifestyle change and we have to take it one day at a time!

    Still praying for your family...
    1661 days ago
    Geez! That's crazy! I've dealt with TWO bad airport experiences, though one turned out really good...even if really nutsy. One was involving sleeping at DFW, and I hated it! I barely slept...and yes...COLD.

    Congrats on the new clothing and don't sweat the extra pounds. I know you can do it!

    I know the's rough. WE GOT THIS!
    1662 days ago
  • Add Your Comment to the Blog Post

    Log in to post a comment

    Disclaimer: Weight loss results will vary from person to person. No individual result should be seen as a typical result of following the SparkPeople program.

More Blogs by MAGS650