... where do I begin, exceptions aside I know that it's always been "ME" who has prevented my reaching my goal. But here's the thing, knowing "how to" achieve my goal has been a mystery to me, I have just never been able to lose weight without great effort.
- I have had doctors tell me that I am carbohydrate sensitive and thus, can't metabolize carbs as efficiently as I should in order to burn fat. However, they typically recommend the SAD, which clearly doesn't work for me.
- I have tried numerous diet programs, WW's, BFFM (Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle); BFL, Body for Life, 4 Hour Body, Chris Powell's carb cycling and the Paleo and Primal Blueprint. I was even vegetarian for a time until breast cancer when I had to stop eating all soy products (... my main source of protein). While all of the programs yielded some sort of success, none were long lasting. However, I have found through trial and error that the paleo/primal & low carb lifestyles do work for me... more about this later.
... It has taken a long time and a lot of failure to figure out just what will work for me. As of late, I tried a 2 week intervention of the Protein Power Life Plan (Eades), to jumpstart my weight loss, and found that I was bruising because the carbs were too low; I was eating between 20 - 30 carbs per day. My doctor advised me to raise my carbs to 50 carbs per day for 2 weeks and then I can cycle them, but not to ever go below 50 for 2 weeks again!... However, she did advise that if I really wanted to stay on the low carb diet for any length of time that I would have to come in every 2 weeks for blood work so that I can be closely monitored, however, this is not an option that I want to consider.
~ THE MAIN CULPRIT:
The earlier diets that I tried, BFL, BFFM & Chris Powell all had built in cheat days, and as I mentioned earlier I did lose a little on these plans, but never really reached my goals... I could never understand "WHY"
... until now. As always if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is, and to be able to eat "whatever I want to" for 24 hours was just that!... but in all fairness I have to say that while the BFL and Chris Powell (but only on high carb days) gives you carte blanche to have a "free for all" the BFFM has some food for thought and asks you to consider:
"are you a carb-tolerant mesomorph who gains muscle easily and loses fat easily or are you a carb-sensitive endomorph who gains fat easily? Depending on the answer, your diet program may need to be more or less strict than others"
... well guess what????... I am that "Endomorph"
... there's a skinny girl in there somewhere!!!!
~ THE SOLUTION:
... so I am trying a different approach & this is what I am going to do. I actually started this on Friday:
1.) Follow a combination/hybrid of the following programs: paleo/primal, Protein Power Life Plan & the Mediterranean low carbohydrate diet. "What this means is that I will be essentially cooking paleo/primal while also adding elements/foods allowed on the Protein Power & Mediterranean low carb diet plans. This is a more realistic approach & will allow 2 important things:
- more flexibility
- more variety
2.) There will be no more FREE/CHEAT days like in the past, instead I will do the following:
- On Saturday's when I am out and about, I will allow, at most, a "free meal"
- @ home, my one free meal will be sensible and contain those carbs that I don't normally allow during the course of the week, for example, rye bread, or a "portion" of air-popped pop corn (... instead of 3 large bowls in one sitting!
3.) I will allow a few more carbs on Saturday but stay well with my calorie/carb & macro range that I set for that day.
~ MY ACTUAL PLAN ~:
NUTRITIONAL: (According to my "personal" stats, these are my calculations")
Calorie range: 1200 - 1600 (more or less depending on activity level)
MEALS: 3X's per day (snacks as needed)
- SU-Sat: 50 grams for the next two weeks.
- SU-Sat: Carb cycling: 50 - 75 carbs (... upper end, as high as 100 grams, on higher intensity days)
FATS: healthy fats ... following the Mediterranean low carb approach. Here is more information about this if interested:
PROTEIN: Protein Power Life Plan calculator: minimum of: 90 grams/day. I can allow more for snacks and when I am hungry.
- following strict portion control: advancedmediterraneandie
IF: INTERMITTENT FASTING
- this worked for me in the past and I will eat "intuitively" when I am hungry
- IF time frame: overnight fast for no more than 17 hours
- M - F: daily 1 - 2 hour walks to and from work
- adding other higher intensity cardio workouts in as I am able for variety and metabolic conditioning
- preparing for my September 30th P90X challenge and will add strength training days. My goal is to do strength training on: M-W-F
... In the 2 weeks that I followed the low carb intervention I achieved the following:
- eliminated my cravings for sweets
- reduced fat in my lower abs
... well I think I have covered everything. I started today (Sunday). The first 2 weeks will run: August 25th - September 7th.
Remember through your journey