Friday, August 16, 2013
Riding my mountain bike to work is one of the best things I have done for my health (physical and mental). I no longer own a car, and it has been surprisingly liberating.
My decision to do so came partially from a desire to be more "green", and also because I realized that the beginning of my weight gain coincided with becoming car dependent rather than using the bus/bike/feet to get around.
- rainy days
- being passed up for promotions that require a car
- ease of running errands
- cold days
- scary drivers
- having to change clothes
- cost of bus pass
- occasional arrival at work with skinned knees
- fresh air
- watching the sunrise
- cutting through the park
- saving tons of money by not owning a car
- not using petroleum products (Big Government, do you hear me?)
- having to be organized about clothing and lunches and errands
- inability to drive by and grab an unhealthy meal or snack on the go
- weight loss
- visible leg muscles
- save cost of gym membership
- knowledge that I am not harming the earth
... and this!