Monday, August 05, 2013
So the physical therapist recommended I take up yoga today to aid my back recovery. He had already cleared me to run, so I started running again a few weeks ago. But YOGA? Ick.
Here is a list of reasons why yoga has never been my exercise of choice:
1. Smug yoga disciples (I read someone else on the message boards didn't like these peeps either.)
2. The instructor "correcting" me by moving me even if I don't actually bend that way, yet.
3. The constant "constructive criticisms" by the instructors. Here's the thing--I thought this was supposed to be relaxing, how can I relax if I am verbally chastised every time I move?!?
4. Feet are gross, and I can only tolerate my own.
5. Most of the yoga classes at my gym are not that beginner friendly if they expect you to already be able to perform a pose just by calling its name. Also, can't we use some version of English for these poses?
I'm sure I can come up some more if I sit and think about it, but these seem to be plenty of reasons for me NOT to enjoy yoga. So I'll depend on Netflix for my yoga instruction for now and see how that goes. I also had them send me a Pilates video, so here goes nothin'!