July Results, August Goals
Thursday, August 01, 2013
My July goals and my results:
1. Lose 8 pounds; switch to weekly weigh-ins. RESULT: I switched to weekly weigh-ins and I lost 2.8 pounds. Yes this is less than my weight loss as of one week ago; I guess my weight loss will continue to be a roller coaster ride with lots of bumps on the road.
2. Get off the Prilosec & other proton pump inhibiters, and control my GERD through dietary changes. RESULT: I DID THIS! Got off the meds, and GERD is greatly improved (not gone but better)
3. Controlling GERD with diet changes -- No wine or alcohol; no rich desserts; no overeating. RESULT: I was perfect for the first 3 weeks; lapsed and had one alcoholic beverage in the 4th week and also had a rich dessert. The lapses made me very sick. But overall I was 95+% on this goal.
4. Calcium and Vitamin D daily. RESULT: I DID THIS!
5. Weight bearing exercise daily; increase strength training; stretch 2-3 x weekly. I DID THIS!
I noticed health improvements beyond the weight loss, with improvement in my skin flakiness, less puffy face, better hair.
My goals for August are similar:
1. Lose 6 pounds. I will continue weekly weigh-ins.
2. Work to reduce caffeine intake.
3. Continue GERD related diet changes. No wine or alcohol; no rich desserts; no overeating.
4. Calcium and Vitamin D daily.
5. Weight bearing exercise daily; increase strength training; stretch 2-3 x weekly
On a non-related topic: Mom seems very down, depressed and miserable. So far the morphine is not controlling her pain but she is reluctant to request the higher dose. The hospice RN is trying to help her, as is the director of the nursing home. She is angry with her doctor, who tries to help her. Terminal illness is not an easy process, and she seems like it is changing her into a different woman. In fact I wonder if a mini-stroke has changed her personality; or maybe it is the changed medication. I will fly to see her in a week.