Here's a reiteration of the 5 key activities for boosting happiness/success:
1. Three new gratitudes each day will teach your brain to retain a pattern of scanning the world not for the negative, but for the positive first.
2. Journaling about one positive experience you've had over the past 24 hours allows your brain to re-live it.
3. Exercise teaches your brain that your behavior matters.
4. Meditation allows your brain to get over the cultural ADHD that we've been creating by trying to do multiple tasks at once.
5. Random or conscious acts of kindness - send a positive e-mail to thank or praise someone in your social support network.
1. I am thankful for my chiropractor. For a long time, I thought that chiros were "not real doctors". Working in health insurance reinforced this idea and I had very little respect for them. However, it was ignorance because I really didn't KNOW anything about what they do...I'd just heard rumors (from people that didn't like them!) When I started this health journey again a month or so ago, I decided that I'd give it a shot, based on a referral from my nutrition counselor. I figured, "Hey, I'm revamping my entire life - emotional, mental, and physical. Maybe this will help me." And it HAS been helping. But I have had so much damage to my body, so it's taking some time. Still...I am feeling better. And I really can't complain about one hour massages that are covered in full by my health insurance. SWEET!
2. I am thankful for air conditioning today, with a heat index outside of 104 degrees Fahrenheit. I grew up without A/C and lived without it in the dorms for 4 years in college, so I know how miserable things can get without it!
3. I am thankful for the fact that the only utility I have to pay for in this apartment is electricity. Water and gas are included in the rent, which is rather low for this part of the state too. In the winter, my electric bill runs $14/month or so and in the summer with non-stop A/C, it is about $45/month. I am thrilled with this, as my dear Mr. T has dealt with electric bills over $300/month and that is just INSANE to me!!!!
Today I had a wonderful lunch with two friends that I rarely get to see and spend time with. We laughed and commiserated about having kids of divorce with a new partner in the picture who also has kids, and felt each other's pain.
Although I don't wish any of the craziness of parenting that I deal with on anyone, I have to admit that it felt a little good to hear friends tell stories about their kids that were almost exactly like my own. It made me realize that I'm not the only person who feels these feelings and I'm not the only Mom struggling and wondering if I'm fuc*king up my kids. LOL.
Today I tried The 7 Minute Total Exercise Routine
It was nice that it was only seven minutes, but I don't know if it's for me. Doing the movements that quickly pretty much guarantees that I don't pay attention to correct form and, knowing how prone to injury I am, this is probably not a great idea longterm. Haha. I think I'll stick with other forms of exercise. But, it's nice to try new things once in awhile.
Most of this morning was one long meditation and I learned quite a lot about myself today. Good things that will help me move forward and conquer that darkness within.
RANDOM ACT OF KINDNESS