Wednesday, July 17, 2013
I own a treadmill for about 8 or so years. I get on it once in awhile. It is a cheap Wal-Mart treadmill that has 6 buttons: Stop button, incline up, incline down, speed up, speed down, and calories burn. I also have an "eye" that scans your pulse if you hover your finger over the eye.
So, today I walked a mile outdoors and it was way too hot. There was no way that I could even walk another mile in that heat! So, I did the treadmill...
Here are my pros and cons of treadmill vs. outdoor walking
Pros of the treadmill
1. I can control the speed which will be very consistent
2. I can control the incline if I choose to do hills
3. I am in air conditioning!
4. I can have my shirt off - but still wear my exercise bra
5. I can watch TV during my exercise mode
6. I can hold a conversation with my husband (computer is in front of my treadmill)
7. I can listen to Pandora and switch up my music
8. I can use the washroom anytime I need to
9. My bottle water is close by
10.I don't have to stuff my pockets or bra with the garage opener, cell phone, and iPod
Cons of the treadmill
1. The "sidewalk" moves for me...I am not propelling myself forward
2. My treadmill is noisy with each step - creaky noises
3. It is boring
4. Every now and then, the "sidewalk" slips causing me to lose my balance
Pros of outdoor walking
1. I can explore new scenery
2. I have to propel myself forward
3. I can feel the sun and the breeze
4. I can hear the birds, lawnmowers, dogs, etc...
5. I can meet people along my walk
6. I can see the trees, flowers, birds, landscaping, etc...
7. It is not boring
Cons of outdoor walking
1. Bathroom needs
2. Too hot, cold, windy, windless, wet, dry, etc...
3. My pace varies
4. Not enough incline on my walks
5. Stuffing my pockets or bras with necessary items
6. Cannot take my bottled water
So, I am glad that I do have both the outdoors and the treadmill. I think that I will always prefer going outdoors vs the treadmill on nice days. There is something about being outdoors that makes my day! I hate being cooped up indoors during the summer months. Winter is bad enough and by March I am feeling the cabin fever.
Tomorrow will be hotter...so it will be treadmill again. Looking forward to next week when the nights will be much cooler and my mornings won't be so stinkin' hot!