Okay - so I downloaded this app for my iPhone called Superbetter. I found out about it after watching a TED talk about it, and it piqued my curiosity... and it's a neat little app. I plan on using it to supplement what I'm doing here on Sparkpeople.
One of the things I like about Superbetter is its incredibly positive approach; its optimistic and sometimes goofy "power-ups," creative ways to beat "bad guys," and innovative fitness "quests" are a great way to buoy up motivation that may be flagging. I recommend it. (Go to
Anyway, one of my "quests" today is: "Find ten things about your body that you genuinely appreciate right now. It might be something that functions really well, a hidden strength that you take for granted, or a part of yourself that you simply like the shape, color, or texture of. List your ten appreciated body parts in your journal..."
I like this quest. :) I think that so many of us have a list of the parts we deem as icky, ugly, gross, etc. - this makes a good change!
1. My birthmark. For those just tuning in (or for those who don't know), I was born with something called Klippel-Trenaunay Syndrome. I don't talk about it too much because, frankly, I don't want it getting in the way of doing anything and everything I want to do. One of the hallmarks of the condition is vascular birthmarks, and boy do I have one: a huge, purple birthmark which starts on the toes of my right foot, proceeds up my plantar foot, over my heel, up my calf, up my thigh and clear up to my buttcrack. It's big and purple and blue and people stare at it. And you know what? I love it. :) It's been my "jerk filter" for years, and although it does give me some medical issues, I adore it for helping me sift superficial people out of my acquaintance. Those who are awesome don't stare, aren't insensitive, and are convinced that I am not a freak after all. (Then they get to KNOW me.... LOL!)
2. My eyes. I have expressive, almost-black eyes.
3. My belly. No matter what kind of weight I've put on over the years, somehow, I manage to keep a flat belly. I have no idea why this is.
4. My hands/wrists. I have graceful hands and wrists, cultivated by years of various dance disciplines. I'm proud of them!
5. My leg strength. Now, note: I'm not happy with my legs' APPEARANCE, necessarily... but I am impressed with how strong my legs are. Again, a dancer thing.
6. My hair. Thank you, genetics, for both my mother and my father have awesome hair... and I got the best of both of those genes. It's thick and plentiful... albeit a bit greyer lately... ;)
7. My endurance. Sometimes, this has bitten me in the ass, because I have physically pushed myself to the point of injury on more than one occasion... but it's a strength I appreciate - the ability to zone out and just ride it out.
8. My arms... because they're usually the first place I start seeing results when I train!
9. My ears. Without them, I wouldn't hear the music I dance to, the music I make with my friends, and the music that inspires me to dig deep and push.
10. My smile. Because smiles are contagious, and I smile A LOT.
What ten things about you are you appreciative of? Write about it, and let me know you did so I can go over to your blog and read!
Have an amazing day!