Watch what you eat!
Saturday, July 13, 2013
My day started great....I woke up at 6:30 and decided to get on the computer before waking hubby up for our ride. I turned on the computer and down came son #3. He informed me that he had eaten some carrot cake and was feeling sick. He hardly ever eats anything before we/he reads the ingredients but he did this time and he is highly allergic to nuts. He said that since it was carrot cake he thought the crunchy things were carrots! I gave him some allergy meds, which seemed to help for a short time but, long story short, we headed to the emergency room. By the time we got there (it's only 15 minutes away) he was sick to his stomach and was having trouble breathing. They got him in right away and he was hooked up to all kinds of machines before I even signed him in. We ended up being there almost three hours and left with more meds. Now he's just a little tired from all the abuse that his body took.
What a wake-up call! When Nick was little we had to be very careful what he ate. Until today he had not used his Epi-Pen since he was in middle school (he's 19 now). He had not had to use his emergency inhaler since last year. I have to admit, we have become lax in what he eats and that is going to change. We are back to reading every label and making everything from scratch that we can. Drat and double-drat!
The bike ride has been rescheduled for tomorrow. We had to settle for an hour walk around the neighborhood tonight. I hope that your day was more calm than mine!