80,000-99,999 SparkPoints 84,016


Saturday, July 13, 2013

Hello fellow Sparkers!

I've been away for a few days.

My family and I actually went on a vacation!!!!! I know, some of you say 'big deal'. Yet I say, "BIG DEAL!!!!!!" It finally happened. My husband took some time off and we went.

You see, since he is self-employed, he doesn't get vacation pay. Except a couple of months ago, he agreed to take time off and go. Not long, mind you, but a little is better than nothing. Needless to say, we went to Jasper National Park.

Beautiful place. Perfect for hiking, cycling, horseback riding, boating, you name it.

So the first day we were there, we went to Maligne Canyon and I had to take it easy. Higher elevation, sore knee, anemic. You really notice the higher altitude when you're anemic. I was so out of breath going back up... emoticon My heart was pounding so hard. I have to say, the kids were great. They didn't mind taking breaks and looking at the view. I think they enjoyed the fact that there was no hurry.

That afternoon, we went to Angel Glacier. That was neat. It was really high. We had to drive up the side of a mountain and there were hairpin curves and such. Then of course you had to park and walk up to a safe side of a mountain so you could see Angel Glacier. That was neat. Unfortunately, I could only handle the easy walk that was paved. The same with DD3 since she injured her foot a year and a half ago. But it was cool. Loved it. Plus, you don't know what a steep incline you're walking until you have to go back down! (That was fun). emoticon

During the evening, we spent some time shopping and just looking around Jasper and of course, going out to eat. Yum.

The next day, we went horseback riding. We had two guides, since none of my children had much experience riding and neither did my husband. So, I had a horse that liked to follow close to the one ahead of it. Except, I was warned not to let Prince be too close to Pete because Pete didn't like them too close to him. Otherwise he would turn and try to bite them. Okay, I can handle that. Once Prince realized I wanted to be a bit further behind, he kept a steady pace. The woods were beautiful. Guess what we saw...a mother bear and her three cubs! Yes, we were a safe distance from them. The mother didn't seem too worried that we were there. Then later on, we saw the vast view of the Athabasca river and town and other mountains. I tell you, I could of sat right there for a good half hour. Just soaking it all in. Then when we were on our way back, low and behold, another bear. A black bear. All by itself and maybe 15 to 20 feet away from us. (We all agreed we were a little too close). Although, he did stay were he was and watched us. I have to say, seeing that his nose was brown, that just indicates you are just TO CLOSE!

The silly thing was, DD1 was riding Pete. Her saddle was going sideways and I told them. They kept telling her to put more weight on the right side of her saddle. Except, that wasn't really working. Well...The guide at the back of us, halted us and got off her horse and had DD1 get off the horse and tightened the saddle. What she forgot because she was worried about DD1, was there was a bear pretty much too close to us. Which she mentioned to my husband when she got back on her horse. Oops.

Anyways, as we were getting closer to the stables, DD2 couldn't get her horse to move. I was getting anxious, since Prince wanted to get closer to Pete. DD2 didn't want to hurt the horse by giving it a little kick. No kick a little harder. Finally! Except, Prince noticed DD2's horse was moving and started to move before Pete. Yep. You guessed it, Pete went to Prince to take a bite. Prince reared off to the left, while DD1 managed to get Pete to go to the right. Apparently, the front hooves of my horse weren't on the ground. I am so glad I was riding Prince and was behind Pete. Otherwise things could have gone wrong really fast. I had Prince under control right away. I didn't fall off the horse. He didn't get spooked into a run. Our guides were so relieved that I could handle it with no problems.

So, now, my kids keep talking about that. They had lots of excitement and adventure during that ride. So did I. (I want to go riding again!)

That afternoon, we went to the Athabasca Falls. Called it a night and the next day, after a little more shopping and eating out, we went home.

We were tired. Three of us fell asleep in the vehicle. Okay, I was one of them and nothing is more disturbing than waking up with your head back and your mouth gaping open. How many vehicles did DH pass on the divided highway, where the drivers got to see me like that. DOH!

So, yeah, I'm home. Hubby is back to work, including today and I am enjoying a quiet morning since my kids are still recovering from all that fresh air and exercise. Or maybe this has to do with the fact that they can sleep in since there is no school right now.

Well, I'm off. Just wanted to share my adventure with my Sparkbuddies.

Have a great weekend.

Share This Post With Others
Member Comments About This Blog Post
    Such a fun family trip!
    1712 days ago
  • SHEILA1505
    Delighted that you had such a great time with the family!
    1712 days ago
  • FLGIRL1234
    Sounds like alot of good family fun! Glad you had a good time!
    1712 days ago
  • Add Your Comment to the Blog Post

    Log in to post a comment

    Disclaimer: Weight loss results will vary from person to person. No individual result should be seen as a typical result of following the SparkPeople program.

More Blogs by KAILYNSTAR