Do my gadgets help me lose weight?
That’s the question one of my teammates on the Sexy ShamROCK Sheriffs asked me... cuz I doooooo love gadgets.. it made me pause and think... and YES, I believe my gadgets do help me lose weight. Here are my gadgets:
1. Fitbit... I have a very sedentary job.. and the way Fitbit helps is that it makes me AWARE of how little I move.. it allows me to set reasonable goals.. and if i’ve had “one of those days” where I sat on my butt in meetings all day then it motivates me to “do a little more” in the evening.. I’ve even found myself planning ahead and doing something active in the am to offset a day where I know I’ll be on my butt all day. I do not “count” my fitbit steps as fitness... yes, yes, they show up on my “official” fitness minutes page (the more points to give goodies!!) but, in my mind or on any challenges I participate in, I do not count them. I use the fitbit to improve my overall activity not to keep track of “purposeful” or “SWEATY” activity. Does it help me lose weight?? YES
2. I’m going to count my DEXAscan and my testing of my basal metabolic rate as part of my gadgets... and yes, it helps me lose weight because it convinces my brain that I’m on the right track (when I am) and gives me feedback as to whether what I’m doing to lose weight is actually working. So far, it’s confirmed I’m on the right path. (to read more about my repeat DEXAscan look at my blog dated 7/11/13) Does it help me lose weight? YES
3. Aria scale... mmmm I love it.. primarily because it saves me time from having to write stuff down and log it.. LOL. but do I NEED it?? nah... it syncs with my FitBit which I have tied to my Sparkpeople account... so everytime I weigh (and I weigh daily) it updates spark.. now, because of this, I’ve had to not allow my weight to post on Spark - otherwise the fluctuations would drive y’all crazy cuz I lose and gain the same pound over and over sometimes LOL...however, it is VERY accurate on it’s % of fat lost.. because it matched the DEXAscan exactly.. that was nice to find out. How it helps me lose weight is that I plot my daily weights and have gain immeasurable insight as to how my body works.. how it reacts to weight training.. or certain foods... a trip.. the daily weights for me are just another data point to monitor.. it is not THE way I gauge my success.. NO WAY.. Does it help me lose weight? Yes, in that it allows me another data point in an efficient way.. okay, it’s a stretch... but I still like it!
4. SWIMP3.. ohhhhh this is my newest gadget and I love it!!!! it’s a waterproof MP3 player that conducts sound though your cheekbones so you can listen to music while you swim.. yeah baby.. this thing is freaking AWESOME!! Does it help me lose weight?? YES!! Cuz I swim for much longer at a faster pace than when I don’t wear it.
5. Lap Counter... yep... it’s little.. fits on my finger.. and helps me keep accurate track of my laps... could I lose weight without it? yeah.. but it helps me set lap goals and meet them. Does it help me lose weight? sure.. by accurately measuring my laps so I can monitor improvement
6. Polar F7 Heartrate Monitor and my Digifit App are by far my favorite gadget... I have a long history of not wanting or liking to workout.. when I was 12 and we had to do the presidential mile, I told the teacher I had asthma and couldn’t.. yeah, I was that kid.. anyhoo.. when I started CrossFit on March 2 of this year, I thought I was dying... and it took my coach really sitting me down for “the talk” to help me realize I was not going to die.. I was able to breathe.. my heart would not explode or beat out of my chest.. that it was all NORMAL for working hard! I realized I had a warped gauge of how hard I was working.. so, for me, the heartrate monitor gives me an accurate gauge for how hard I’m working at any given time.. I know that when my HR reaches 160 I think I’m dying.. but now as it approaches and I KNOW how I’m going to feel - I can prepare my mind.. GET TOUGH.. and power through it.. It also doesn’t let me fool myself that my “walk” around the block did anything for me fitness wise.. it’s activity.. but I’m talking FITNESS.. cuz if you’re not uncomfortable you’re not changing!!
“Discomfort brings engagement and change. Discomfort means you’re doing something others are unlikely to do, because they’re hiding out in the comfortable zone.” – Seth Godin
Does it help me lose weight?? H3LL TO THE YES!! It keeps me honest about how hard I’m working by taking the “feeling” out of it...
I think that’s all my fitness gadgets... I think... Do you use a gadget that helps you lose weight?? What is it???