Friday, July 12, 2013
Last night for dinner I made a delicious pasta salad! It's hard to find things to make that every member of a family of 7 will eat, and last night was no exception...but the kids who didn't want it just went to the kitchen to make something else. And I don't have a problem with that, as long as I don't have to make it or clean up after their messes.
Tofurkey Pasta Salad
1 pkg Tofurkey vegan Italian sausage (I finally found it at Kroger!)
1 12-oz. pkg pasta of your choice (I used bowties)
1 can black olives, drained and sliced
1 can artichoke hearts, drained and sliced
1 bag fresh spinach
1/4 c. olive oil
2-3 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1-2 Tbs. chopped garlic
Parmesan cheese to taste
1. Cook pasta according to directions on box. For pasta salads, al dente is good. Drain, and rinse under cool water.
2. Slice Tofurkey into half-inch slices and brown in a lightly oiled skillet. Set aside.
3. Toss spinach in a skillet on med/high heat until wilted.
4. In a large bowl, combine pasta, Tofurkey, spinach, olives, and artichoke hearts.
5. In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic and pepper. Drizzle over pasta mixture and toss to coat.
6. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, cover, and chill in the fridge until ready to serve.
I contemplated serving this warm, partly because I was pressed for time, but also because I thought it would be good either way. We ended up eating it cold, and it was good. Only one kid completely turned their nose up at it and opted for a frozen burrito instead. ;)
Also, I took a picture of it and put it on my Instagram if you want to see it; my username is jenniferponcin.
The weather has been gorgeous the past couple of days and it looks to be more of the same all weekend. I foresee many miles on my bike this weekend. Spark On! :)