Happiness. Isnít it really the end result? People donít embark on a profound journey of change when they are happy.
But I wouldnít say Iím unhappy. Iím surrounded by caring, supportive friends and family. Career-wise, I feel in a good spot. I enjoy living in Central NJ (although not the yardwork - wp.me/p1N36Q-cG
- that accompanies my home). I justÖ think things can be better.
I still canít say for sure whether eliminating wheat helps me be a less anxious person because my wheat free streaks have so frequently been interrupted Ė mostly by my own intentional doing. But I think Iím on the right track. Besides, this article suggests I have a lot in common with optimistic people.
Of the ten habits shared, I think I can check off the following three for sure:
2. Share your Stories Ė Check. Isnít that what Iím doing here?
7. Exercise and Follow a Healthy Diet Ė The article doesnít say what specifically a healthy diet encompasses, but Iím certainly paying attention to what I eat. And I do feel good after all of those long runs! Here are five rules to eat for happiness Ė www.huffingtonpost.com/d
- the author does take a minor jab at low-carb diets, but Iíd say that his rules are solid.
8. Practice Positive Forward Thinking Ė I find what Iím doing to be difficult in the moment, but often am motivated to continue when I think about the end result. This has helped me avoid taking the first bite in binge-trigger situations. Along with that, I would suggest also reading this article about detaching yourself from the outcome ( www.marksdailyapple.com/
). I understand that practicing positive forward thinking shouldnít inhibit my enjoyment of the moment, provided that Iím truly having an enjoyable moment. Binge eating Ė not enjoyable.
I really like how this article ends Ė that happy people keep in mind the past isnít a blueprint to the future. A big part of coping with anxiety is dealing with those negative distorted thoughts ( wp.me/p1N36Q-23
) Ė reminding myself that I canít predict the future and should not assume something will turn out badly simply based on my prior experiences. This is an area that I still need work in, and hopefully will be stronger as more wheat free time passes.