Advertisement -- Learn more about ads on this site.

    RUSSELL_40   92,358
80,000-99,999 SparkPoints
Out of the hospital

Tuesday, July 09, 2013

I am back home after a day and a half at the hospital. Yesterday I went in at 10 a.m., and they kept me overnight. They did bloodwork, and it was so busy that once I was stable, they put me in a holding room, till I could get a room for the night, which happened after 6 p.m. They had promised me a food plate, since I had not eaten in 10 hours, but I got sent up to CCU, before I got it, and at 7:15, the nurse gave up, and gave me a turkey sandwich, sugar free jello, and a diet ginger ale. I out some mayo on the sandwich and ate it, and went to bed. At midnight they cut off all fluid, and food, so I woke at 8 a.m., and got taken down for my echo, and stress test at 10 a.m., which I was told would take 3.5 hours, and I could eat once I got back upstairs.

They did the echo in about 20 minutes, and pushed my wheelchair back into the hall for me to wait. At no time did they check my blood sugars. I was walking laps before they came to get me, and was feeling dizzy, and about to go back in and lay down. At this point I hadn't had anything but the snack in 26 hours. My vision started to get spotty, and my head started to pound, and I told the nurse that I was having a low blood sugar reaction. They told me that they had to inject me with a radioactive shot, and then I could have some apple juice during my 30 minute wait for it to take effect. By then my eye was hurting, but my vision cleared up. At the end of the stress test, they gave me some Coke ( 6 ozs. ), which counteracted the other drug they gave me to make my heart race. So I had 12 ozs of sugary drink, and finally got back to my room around 1:30. I ordered some fish, broccoli, and rice pilaf, and they limited me to 4 ozs of skim milk, and a slice of marbled rye.

They told me that my lunch would take 45 minutes to show up, but it took 23. They forgot my silverware, bread, and pilaf sauce. I called down, and got them to bring my the bread, and silverware. When they showed up, it was plain wheat bread, so I ate the fish, and broccoli. I wasn't eating plain rice, or wheat bread. I did drink the 4 ozs. of milk.

By then my doctors started showing up, and telling me what corrections I had to make, and that overall, I was okay. My tests all were fine. Kidney function, echo, and stress were great. My BP was 95/57. The only advice they had was to drink less fluids ( 1 liter a day ), which includes broth, soup, milk, coffee etc. Luckily, I only drink water. I don't know if I can just drink 35 ozs of fluids though. They also suggested I cut sodium to 1000 mg a day, which I can do. In the end, I may have just had extra sodium. They told me to not take my night Lasix, as I have been doing for 2 months, since I show no signs of edema, or water weight gain. They all asked how I lost so much weight, especially the medical students, who came to listen to my heart murmur, and ask 100 questions. So I told them about low carb, and what improvements I have made due to it.

My INR which is the test for the thickness of my blood was high, meaning my blood was super thin, so when the finally released me, I stopped and got a salad from the pizzeria, and came home to eat, and watch a TV show. I am thawing some chicken for supper, while I take a 3 hour nap, and then going to watch some more TV, and get to bed early. They couldn't explain the back pain, and why it comes, and goes, so hopefully it is gone for good, and unrelated. They think the twinges in my chest and shortness of breath were from too much fluid, and salt. I'll cut both back, and hope it works. At least now I know that I am not in any danger. I may just have a little chest pain , or shortness of breath. I am not sure it helped much, other than to reassure me. I haven't had these issues when I cheat at Taco Bell, with pop, but some salty beans,sausage, and extra water was a problem?

At least I feel reasonably good right now. We'll see how I feel in the next day or so. At least I lost a lb while I was in there. I am down to 219.2 now.
  Member Comments About This Blog Post:

ADEWYN 7/13/2013 12:27AM

    Oh dear I guess we both have been seeing docs this week... I am glad you are home and doing better!!! Hugs and love my friend!!!!

Report Inappropriate Comment
CLPURNELL 7/10/2013 10:03PM

    Congrats on the Pound and I hope you get to stay out the hospital for a while!

Report Inappropriate Comment

    I'm so glad you are feeling better now!

Hospitals are just awful.

Report Inappropriate Comment
KIERAE 7/10/2013 12:06PM

    So glad you are doing better! emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment
GEMINIGEM6 7/9/2013 9:10PM

    I'm so glad you're okay! But also hate you had to go through all that. I know what all that's like w/ the hospitals and how busy they get and how long you wait. I've been to the ER more times than I care to remember. But so glad you're back home now and even though you went through all of that, like you said, at least it reassured you it was nothing serious. Take care of yourself. :)

Report Inappropriate Comment
MOMMY2MADILYN 7/9/2013 8:49PM

    I'm sorry to hear of your latest hospital stay, but happy to hear you are home and feeling better! Rest well and feel good! emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment
NOWYOUDIDIT 7/9/2013 8:00PM

    ugh! I hate the hospital! Glad you are home! emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment
WOUBBIE 7/9/2013 7:09PM

    Yikes. You gotta wonder how anyone gets well in there....

Glad to see you spreading the gospel of low carb right there in the temple of the heathens!! emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment

Add Your Comment to the Blog Post

Log in to post a comment.

Other Entries by RUSSELL_40