Thursday, July 04, 2013
and BTW, today’s race is canceled too. You can’t argue with Mother Nature.
That downpour that soaked my shoes on Tuesday continued through Wednesday and the river is 3 ft above the 10 ft flood stage. The trail is under water as well as some areas of downtown Roanoke.
Fortunately, no injuries have been reported although some people have had to be rescued from cars stranded by the rising water and a school has been opened as a shelter for those flooded out of their homes.
An email alert was sent out before sunrise so I knew not to set out for the race. Flash flooding is a danger around here with all the creeks feeding into the river.
In the dark you can’t distinguish between pavement and rushing water. Never fool around with Mother Nature.
As for the race, they’re deciding if it’s possible to reschedule. I’m OK either way. My entry fee went to a good cause. I ran my “Four on the Fourth” anyway all by myself this morning and added 4 miles walking for good measure.
Have a great 4th everyone and be careful out there.