Time for reviewing June goals and making July ones.
== June goals ==
1) Average calories under 3000.
Didn't make this one, though I didn't blow it terribly either. My average for the month was 3111 calories per day. (More discussion of this below.) I did bring the average down from May and ended June well with an average of 2972 for the last week.
2) Push up my cardio intensity
I've been doing this in steps, but definitely feel good about it. I upped the resistance level that I start with on my regular machine (recumbent bike) and have thrown a couple other machines (ellipticals) back into the mix with higher settings than in the past. I have also been paying more attention to hitting the higher side of my % of MaxHR (for me that is 138-145).
3) Short story or poem for submission
Didn't get the clear information on what the story should be until close to the end of the month, but I have started writing. Might have to take that one back to the drawing board, as it isn't as short as I'll need. Definitely back into writing, though, and that was the important part.
4) Financial planning
I opened a special checking account that earns interest into which I set aside weekly the amounts that will be needed for budgeted items. I have a spreadsheet set up and have been tracking what portions of each week's set-aside go toward which item. This way I'm "paying" an amount each week for things and have the money ready when I go to spend it. (Rent, monthly bus pass, annual taxes, biannual gym dues, website costs, etc.) Very happy with that.
MORE TALK ON CALORIES IN JUNE
My worst couple days were 4750 and 4090 respectively.
I just discovered this morning that at least one food in my tracking software didn't have values entered. That means every day I had that food (one of the two juices I use in my smoothies), I would have eaten around 150 calories more than I had recorded.
It's going to be a little time-consuming, but I'm going to try to check each food item and then update my spreadsheet to see what the actual numbers are. So my average will probably go up, though hopefully not too significantly.
During June I dealt with a couple weeks of an ear infection. It was actually hard to chew for a couple days, so there's three days around 2600, then almost a week of 3000-3500. Movies and dinner with DDa and dark chocolate almonds didn't help either. (The latter were easy to eat in handfuls at the slightest hint of hunger, and were behind the two highest days.)
All that taken into account, I didn't gain. In fact, I'm on a downtrend. I knew I had a pretty fast metabolism, but now I have a clearer idea of that. Maintenance for me at close to 180 pounds seems to be approximately 3200 calories daily. That's with routine walking, nothing special or pushing, and my regular workouts (4 days of weights with 20m cardio and 3 days of 60m cardio). There were even a few days skipped for various reasons. It will be somewhat less at 155, but it certainly says something when I maintain at 3200 when the formulas come up with closer to 2400 at my activity level.
This is really what I've been doing since last year, in fits and starts. My workouts are enjoyable and sustainable with a focus on fitness. I'm not walking as much as I can every day to "burn more calories", instead choosing to walk when I want to because I love being outside and enjoying the climate. I'm eating mostly healthy and keeping track of that to be sure I get all my needed nutrition. I do love my dark chocolate a little much (always will, but I'm learning to be very picky about quality). Other things like jars of peanut butter are no longer an issue because I'm not constantly thinking about how I shouldn't eat more.
For whatever reason, my mentality cannot be "weight loss" or even "fat loss". It truly has to be how I live, a focus on nutrition and physical fitness for a long and comfortable future. My semi-break from SP, while I'm missing all the interaction, has really made a difference in not being as scale- and calorie-centered.
JULY GOAL TIME
Okay, time to set these.
== July goals ==
1) Average calories under 3000. Same goal, but I actually expect to achieve this, and possibly be closer to my 2750-2800 range the majority of the month.
2) Short story or poem written and submitted. Rework novel, even if that's only going through and editing my atrocious verb tense shifting. All total, try to write at least 10,000 words of fiction - whether one story or several.
3) Clear out stuff in storage that I can break down. I keep putting this off and the rent went up on the space. I'm tired of paying and hope to clear it out before July ends. Failing that, my absolute deadline is end of August, and bribes to DS and DDa to help -- since I can obviously afford to give them the money I'd have otherwise paid for the space.
4) Maintain my social balance. I've got at least three social events planned during July. Enjoy those, but also make sure I keep the quiet me times so I don't burn out. Be open to meeting new people and do not get cranky about compliments or attention.
5) Enjoy summer! Fit in at least two summery activities - picnic, BBQ, swim, something.
6) Measurements and fitness test. I let these slip out mostly and want to get them back in. Time to update my fitness testing. I want to move my measurements to a spreadsheet and make them more accurate. (Stuff like waist I need to remember where I measured it. Ideally get DDa to help me take them so the tape isn't slipping and changing by the time I read it.)
I might add some by fall or by 2014 goals later, but lunch is over so back to the grind with me.