Monday, July 01, 2013
Thanks to a sweet Groupon deal, I am trying something that I would never otherwise do. It requires me to get my lazy bum out of bed before the sun is up, but I hope I will make some friends and get in better shape because of it.
Before I get there though, I need to work on what to do when visiting family. I spent the weekend with B's family in San Diego and ate like there was no tomorrow. I stayed away from alcohol, but still ended up eating way too much! On the last week of the 5% Challenge too!! Hopefully I can make up for it this week. I did manage to stand up on an unbroken wave while attempting to surf though! Woo!!
Back to the exercise though. This morning I was supposed to drag myself out of bed at the ungodly hour of 4:30 to get to bootcamp by 5:10 (just the first day, then it will be 5:30). I made it there by 5:20 and was surprised to see a group of about 40 women already there walking circles around the top level of the parking garage. I signed in, plunked down my yoga mat in an open spot and joined in. The warm up was easy, but I was so not ready for like hard core exercise. I walk. I jog. I even wog, but this was out of my league!
I want to remember what I did in the bootcamp so I can go back later and see it. I think I'll try recording it as SparkBlogs so then you call can see it too. Today, we divided into 3 large groups and made a circuit around 3 stations. They called it a "Stackers" workout.
My first station was with Autumn:
**all punches were done while holding a set of 5lb hand weights
- 30 jabs and 1 short lap
- 30 jabs, 30 uppercuts, and 2 short laps
- 30 jabs, 30 uppercuts, and 30 sets of jab, cross-punch, duck/squat
Then I ran down to Station 2, being run by this really cute guy whose name I can't remember for:
- 20 jumping jacks and 1 short lap
- 20 jumping jacks, 20 cross-country jumps (left leg back with right hand up, then jump to right leg back, left hand up) and 2 short laps
- 20 jumping jacks, 20 cross-country jumps, 20 star jumps (jump up and point hand and toes out so you look like a starfish and then land with feet back together)
Then I ran up to Station 3, which was run by Molli and Tony for:
- 10 squats (they had to be perfect or didn't count) and 1 short lap
- 10 squats, 10 push ups, and 2 short laps
- 10 squats, 10 push ups, 10 opposite arm/leg reaches (on all fours lift left leg and right arm and extend, bring in to your core, extend again, switch to other leg/arm for last 5)
Once you were done with all three stations, you had to go back and go through them again. I almost made it around twice and then it was time for stretching/yoga (so nice and relaxing!). I thought we'd get to go home then, but our final mission was 30 seconds of planks followed by 30 seconds of bicycle crunches. Wash, rinse, and repeat for a total of 4 minutes...or maybe it was 3.
At the end of the camp, all the newbies were called up to the front. We were personally thanked for showing up and asked if we knew why all the instructors' shirts said GOYA. I knew, but I didn't say anything. Get Off Your A**!!! We ended Day 1 together with a huddle and GOYA cheer/high five.
I was hurting through the workout and felt a bit lightheaded. Next time I really should eat some breakfast beforehand. Or something small. If I ate breakfast...I might lose it. :S I wore my Vibram Five Finger shoes (the KomodoSport ones) and to my surprise, 3 of the 5 coaches were wearing VFFs too! A couple of them even complemented me on mine! :)
That's it for now. I should be getting back to work. :)