Advertisement -- Learn more about ads on this site.

15,000-19,999 SparkPoints

4-mile Race Report (PR!)

Monday, July 01, 2013

It's been raining for about two weeks. No, that's not an exaggeration. It doesn't typically rain all day long, but it's still the wettest summer I can remember ever having in Ohio. So, when I woke up at 5:30 on Saturday to get ready for my race, I was not really excited to see that the forecast was calling for scattered thunderstorms.

Anyway, I ate some oatmeal and got a lunch and some clean clothes packed because we were planning on taking the kid for a quick trip to the zoo after the race. I was a little nervous about the race because my last long run did not go well, and the humidity has really been taking a toll on me lately.

When we left the house, the weather was beautiful. Just as we got to Cleveland, it started pouring. Of course. After I got my packet, we had time to just sit around and wait, and the rain kept starting and stopping. Luckily, we were in a building, so we weren't getting soaked.

When the race finally started, it wasn't raining and the air was actually fairly cool (about 68). I had worn my Garmin so I could have an idea of how much farther I had to go to the finish, in case I started having trouble. Unfortunately, the course started in an alley between two tall buildings. Between the buildings and the clouds, I was having trouble picking up satellites, so my Garmin was off by about 1/2 mile the whole race.

I knew right away that I was running too fast, but I didn't realize how fast until I got to the first mile marker and a volunteer yelled out "9:29!" I couldn't believe it. Fastest. Mile. Ever. I usually run around 10:38 during my weekly runs, so that's just crazy.

The next two miles were kind of a blur. I kept arguing with myself in my head that I should slow down, but my legs just kept going on their own. Around 2.5 miles, I got a horrible pain in my right side. I told myself that if it was still bad at mile 3 that I would walk, but it finally dulled and went away.

The last mile was the hardest. I had slowed a bit, but I was still running pretty fast (for me) and there were a few small hills that tempted me to walk. But, I pushed through and ran the whole distance. I was so happy when I saw the finish line was just around the corner. When I ran past the clock, it said 40:06. I couldn't believe it!

My chip time turned out to be 39:58! I ran 4 miles at an average pace of 10:00/per mile! Holy canoli! I still don't know how I did it, although I think the flatness of the course had a lot to do with it.

Almost as good as my time was the fact that the rain held off for the entire race. It sprinkled for about a minute during mile 3, but I barely noticed it because I was too focused on my breathing. (As soon as we got to the zoo, it started pouring again, but that's another story.)

So, that's race 2 out of 3 for the year. Now, I just have to get ready for my 5-mile race at the end of this month. It will probably be much tougher. Not only because of the distance, but because the course ends with a wicked hill. I'm not too excited about that.

But, for now, I'm basking in the glow of my four 10:00 miles.

Member Comments About This Blog Post:
ACRAIG921 7/1/2013 1:44PM

    You should bask in your 10 min. miles!! Awesome job on your race!! emoticon emoticon emoticon emoticon emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment

Add Your Comment to the Blog Post

Log in to post a comment.