LIBRARY WORK ALMOST DONE
Sunday, June 23, 2013
I have been struggling to learn different things to be able to be in charge of our church library. The lady who was the leader is moving to Kelowna BC and has asked me to take over the library. She was able to show me some of the things I need to do. We weeded out some of the older books and got rid of them and I had to delete all these items from the computer system. I did manage to do that. I purchased some new books last month, and she showed me how to enter then into the system and print labels for them. I also had a number of books that for some reason are missing cards so I have to print new card labels for them. This has been giving me a difficult time. I requested labels for all the books I needed labels for. There was a total of 98 books. However when I went to print the labels, it told me that there were 384 labels to be printed. I called the help line to find out what was going on. I was given instructions on what to do to delete everything, and I had to re-enter all the requests for labels. When I went to print the labels, I found out that there were 394 labels ready to be printed again, instead of the 98 original labels and 22 new books I had purchased.
I had to once again phone the help desk. This time I got a gentleman named Bob who is a tech. with the company who has this particular software. I explained the situation to him, and he worked it out so that he was able to take control of my computer. He did the work to get everything working with the help of another technician. I did have to re-enter the new books, but that wsn't so bad. I was able to print off all the labels I needed.
Monday morning I am going to go back into the church and put all the labels on th cards and books and get them onto the shelves.
While I was talking to Bob and getting the work done, my cell phone died. We do not have a land line, so I didn't know what I was going to do. Luckly, the lady who does the cleaning happened to come by and she asked me how things were going. I explained the situation, and she let me use her cell phone to finish my conversation. Not only that, she found out I didn't have a phone in the library, so she spoke to the gentleman in charge of that, and he is going to arrange to have a phone put in there so that I don't have to use my cell when I am there.
I have been concerned that I wouldn't be able to get into the library during the week if I needed to do some work, as the church staff are moving to another building. I spoke to Scott about that, and he advised me that he will arrange for me to get access. Apparently they will have some type of card that scans and opens the doors, and when you leave you scan your card again. If you are the last one in the building you scan your card twice, and it sets the alarm. That way I won't have to have a key or learn the code to get in and out of the building.
I was so happy to hear that. The office staff is starting to move this week, so I am hoping I can get the work done I need to do on Monday so that I can be out of the way during the move.
Anything else I need to learn I will have to learn as I go. At least I feel as if I am accomplishing something.