Summer Sun-sational Challenge Goals...
Tuesday, June 18, 2013
The BLC Summer Challenge is officially underway. This is a 10 week challenge full of lots of fun, support and inspiration. As I read over the goals of my teammates for this challenge, there seems to be a theme of balancing lifestyle changes with living life. What an important theme this is! What kind of summer is it if you avoid BBQ's or ice cream after your sons' baseball game? It's definitely necessary to stay focused on diet, exercise and improving my health. But it's equally important to spend quality time with those I love and enjoy some of the special times and treats of the summer months. To thrive and survive, balance is crucial.
In working toward this balance, the goals I am focusing on are:
1. Consistent exercise - I do great one week, not-so-great the next week. I must set this on my schedule and stick to it no matter what. Life is always going to throw a curve and there may always be something I'd rather do. But not doing the exercise isn't working towards the ultimate goal of being healthy. I know it seems extreme but I need to do some exercise everyday. As someone who sits all day at my job, I have to move each day.
2. No chips in the house - Yes this may sound extreme too but for now, it's what has to happen. I am an emotional eater and if there are chips in this house, I will eat them. Often times I will have eaten many before I even catch myself. So instead of having the temptation here, I will create an environment that helps me to succeed.
3. Fun and active time with the boys - Each week we will try something new that involves walking, running, biking, swimming or anything active. I need to incorporate them and activities with them into my lifestyle. One, because it is precious time shared. Two, because they need to see their Mom being active. And three, because I want us to create memories now. Not when the weight is gone.
4. Water - Drinking lots of it. I've been working with my doctor to get my thyroid medicine at a dosage level that works for me. We believe we have it leveled out but it does require me to drink a lot of water for it to be effective and for me to not retain water. So it's my drink of choice all summer.
5. Me time - It's easy to get caught up with working, taking care of the family and life's responsibilities. I need to carve out some chunks of time just for me. Whether that be reading, getting my nails done or some retail therapy - the focus on ME is important. Time to refresh, recharge and refocus.
Here's to an amazing 10 weeks! GO TEAM DIAMONDS!!