Today at lunch I thoroughly enjoyed my hard boiled egg....with fresh ground pepper and a dash of sea salt. Eggs have become my new 'go to' food at lunch.
As a pescetarian (vegetarian who also eats fish) I want to make sure I am getting enough protein.
For a long time eggs had a bad reputation but times have changed.
Check out: Eggs Regain Reputation
but never any
no, no, no...
If you are as egg-cited as me about eggs don't forget World Egg Day 2017 on October 11.
A dozen reasons to celebrate:
1) Eggs are one of the most versatile foods on the market. What other ingredient can cause a souffle to rise and a custard to thicken? What else can be scrambled, fried, poached, and baked - with equally delicious results? Eggs are just as handy when separated. Egg whites make delicate meringues and elegant angel food cakes, while egg yolks enrich sauces, cakes, and pie fillings.
2) Eggs have a high nutrient density because, in proportion to their calorie count.
3) Speaking of protein, egg protein quality is so high that scientists often use eggs as the standard by which the protein quality of other foods is measured.
4) Did you say "lean"? As for the fat found in eggs, two-thirds of it is the healthy unsaturated kind.
5) Eggs have always been a bargain, nutritionally and economically. Studies have found that eggs are one of the best protein buys.
6) Any time of the day is right for eggs.
7) Egg yolk is an excellent source of choline, a nutrient now considered essential for human health.
8) Lutein and zeaxanthin are two newly-recognized nutrients that have put eggs in the "functional foods" category. A functional food is one that provides health benefits beyond its basic nutrient content.
9) On weekends, when time is not an issue, eggs can be elegant.
10) For those interested in weight loss, research indicates that increased protein and reduced carbohydrate intake stabilize blood sugar been meals, which can lead to reduced between-meal snacking.
11) Children like eggs, too!
12) Convinced yet? Why not try out new egg ideas with your family?