Tuesday, June 18, 2013
Today was a 3-mile, 45 minute walk at my me workout. Phew! I'm a sweaty mess and I love it! Feels so good to be active. Another part of me is waiting for the shoe to drop..for me to get burnt out and give up. I am reminding myself that 10 minutes every day is the commitment I made. When I do more, that's a bonus, but it isn't a requirement.
I watched a great TEDTalk by Shawn Achor about positive psychology and how happiness leads to success and not the other way around. He said there is scientific proof that if you make these 5 things a habit, you will be happier in general and more successful because of it.
Do the following for 21 days in a row...it only takes 20 minutes...
1. Gratitudes. Write down 3 things you are thankful/grateful for every day. 3 new things, no matter how small...try not to repeat any. This teaches the brain to scan for positives.
2. Journal about a positive or inspiring experience in the past 24 hours. This teaches the brain to relive positive moments.
3. Exercise for at least 10 minutes every day. This teaches the brain that what we do matters.
4. Meditate for at least 2 minutes every day. This teaches the brain to focus and stop multitasking.
5. Conscious acts of kindness. Write one positive email praising or thanking somebody in your social support network every day This teaches the brain to form positive connections with others.