Burn Fat and Leave Those Love Handles Behind (summary)
Saturday, June 15, 2013
"It's time to break up with Ben & Jerry's if you want to start a hot and heavy relationship with your skinny jeans!
1. Fight fat with fat - if you eat the right kind, you can actually lose fat faster. Fats boost the absorption of antioxidants, which emerging research has linked to weight control. Monounsaturated fats (almonds, omega-3 fatty acids), and medium chain triglycerides (coconut oil) play a key role in fighting inflammation.
2. Sleep 'em off - sleep may be as important to weight loss as diet and exercise. Lack of sleep can lead to increased snacking...not getting enough shut-eye could actually impair the function of the fat cells in your body. Without enough sleep, the body doesn't respond as well to insulin, which can promote fat storage.
3. Beat more belly fat with beans - regular bean eaters have smaller waistlines and 22 percent lower risk of obesity.
4. Up your calcium intake - dieters who increased their daily calcium intake by eating 6 ounces of yogurt lost 81 percent more belly fat than those who didn't, according to a University of Tennessee study. Increasing calcium reduces the amount of calcitrol in your body, the hormone that promotes fat storage.
5. Eat slow carbs - approximately 40 percent of your diet should come from eating healthy carbs like bananas, oranges, sweet potatoes, lentils and brown rice.
6. Burn more fat with Vitamin C - vitamin C is a major fat burner...to get more vitamin C eat oranges, and strawberries, and especially red bell pepper.
7. Pare down with a pedometer - women who wore a pedometer ended up walking an extra 7 miles per week and lost about 60 percent more weight than those who didn't, according to a University of California, Los Angeles study.
8. Drink more to eat less - drink a 16 ounce glass of water up to 20 minutes before meals to eat less.
9. Ditch the 'diet' food - it turns out that a diet full of frozen diet dinners, fat-free cheese and reduced-fat cookies could be causing weight gain, or at the very least, keeping you from reducing your calorie intake.
10. Burn more calories with total body workouts.
11. Concentrate on cardio intervals - create your own cardio core interval workout by alternating one minute of a higher intensity cardio move like jumping jacks, skipping or running in place with one minute of your favorite ab move...for the best result, do at least 30-45 minutes of cardio exercise, 4-5 days per week.
12. Fill up on figs - 47 calories and 1.9 grams of fiber per fig.
13. Put protein on your plate - add protein to every meal. One gram of protein per pound of your body weight per day (FOR ME, 155-160 GRAMS PER DAY). Great sources of naturally occurring, high-protein foods include beans, lean meats, lentils, nuts and seeds.
14. Sip slimming green tea - Green tea boosts metabolism when you're resting and specifically targets the release of stored fat...it also prevents the generation of new fat cells and the formation of fatty tissue.
15. Add some zest to eat less - try sprinkling grated lemon zest onto foods like shrimp, chicken, or rice, the fibrous pectin in the lemon peel turns into a gel in your stomach to help stop cravings and hunger...lemon peel also prevents your body from absorbing too much fat, helps the body release fat and is an appetite suppressant.
16. Follow the '250 Formula' - cut back 250 calories per day from your diet and burn an extra 250 calories per day with exercise, the daily 500 calorie deficit will help you lose a realistic and maintainable one pound per week.
17. Ask your love to handle you - WOO HOO~ :) Research at the University of Miami found that physical touch like a massage from your partner can lower cortisol levels by 31 percent while increasing the feel-good chemicals dopamine and serotonin about the same amount. High levels of cortisol have been linked to excess belly fat, but dopamine and serotonin help you feel happier and more relaxed, which may make you less likely to raid the fridge later on.
18. Stop telling yourself you've earned that splurge - don't be your own worst enemy. When you reward yourself with food, you're undoing the hard work you've been doing to reach your weight-loss and fitness goals.
19. Add in apple-cider vinegar - the acetic acid in apple cider vinegar may switch on the genes your body needs to pump out fat-burning proteins, according to Dr. Oz. It may help curb your appetite, too.
20. Take a yoga class - yoga is a form of exercise that burns calories (the more vigorous the style, the more calories you'll burn) and helps build lean muscle, both of which can reduce belly fat.
21. Stop eating so much salt - excess sodium causes bloating and water retention, and that can make your spare tire appear even bigger...but it's not the salt shaker you need to worry about; it's processed foods such as canned soups, sandwich meats, frozen and fast foods and even some cereals. You can easily reduce your sodium intake by eating as many fresh, whole and unprocessed foods as possible on a daily basis and check nutrition labels, too, to keep track of how much salt you're consuming.
22. Avoid too much sugar - added sugars are enemy #1 for belly fat and love handles...watch out for surprisingly high-sugar foods such as dried cranberries, fruit-flavored yogurts and bottled juices.
23. Get support from a weight loss program.