Thursday, June 13, 2013
I teach dance and I am studying to be a fitness instructor -- not because I want to be a mean old gym teacher, but because I really genuinely enjoy exercise and I think, if you give me the chance and take my class, I can show YOU how to enjoy it too! I would love to share my art and my passion with every woman I know. (And meet new people in the process!) I want to be supportive of my friends and my Sparkpeople friends, if you will LET ME!
But please DON'T:
- assume I'm just waiting for the chance to say "I told you so."
- think that I want you to fail or that I enjoy your setbacks.
- abandon your workout program because you can't get all the way through it. I remember the first time I did step aerobics with Gin Miller. I thought I would die after 10 minutes, and I didn't finish the class. Endurance is something you build.
- think that I'm hanging around you because you make me look thin.
- assume I'm judging you every minute of every day and with every meal you eat.
- skip dessert because I did. I have a calorie count and I used mine up on bread!
- hesitate to share your successes. I want to celebrate with you.
- beat yourself up because I can do the "splits." I can show you how.
- get mad at me because my dance technique is better. I wasn't born with it. It comes from HOURS of practice.
- throw your fingers cymbals against the wall because you can't play as fast as me. YET. I didn't fall out of the womb playing cymbals -- I spent hours PRACTICING. You can be as fast as me. (Actually you can be faster, because I don't practice as much I used to!)
- wait to do that thing you want to do. Want to write a novel? Great! I'll be the first in line at the book signing. Want to be in a play? I'll be in audience! You can do it! Want to try belly dance? Come to my class! :)
- think I have an ulterior motive. Well, I do -- I want to see you happy and successful in your endeavors. That really is it!!!!