Advertisement -- Learn more about ads on this site.

    KT-NICHOLS-13   43,017
40,000-49,999 SparkPoints
So it begins ...

Thursday, June 06, 2013

When faced with life changes I can either bend or break. I can either be overwhelmed or I can learn to deal. Over the past two weeks I've found myself taking a moment or two to take a deep breath and center myself. It's either that or the anxiety will overwhelm me.

Here's what's been going on:

Yup, we got the apartment we looked at. Packing, purging and general maintenance is happening. Plus, coordinating the installation of new utilities and extras and cancelling the old. Arranging for movers and parking permits oh my! Without my notebook of dates, times, vendors etc I'd be lost and completely running in circles.

I've been in the same apartment for over 10 years and it's the only home the Mr has known since moving to the states 5 years ago. It's a big move for the both of us. Well, all six of us ... the fur babies go where we go. :)

I decided to do the move in phases, three of them. Phase one is complete. I moved a large piece of furniture to a friends apartment and took her large piece to the consignment store. A win, win for everyone. On both ends of that move random men happened to be walking by and asked if they could help. Yes, please.

Phase two starts this weekend. We get to take possession of the new place a few days early so I'm moving in the bulk of my kitchen stuff over the weekend. One because I want to set up the kitchen as quickly as possible, two it will free up boxes and three I want the movers to utilize their time with the big stuff. Boil it down and it's really because I want to save money by doing some of the moving myself. There I said it ... ;)

Phase three happens a week from today when the movers show up. I'm not ready for them yet. O_o

The other happenings ... the Mr and I were fostering baby kittens (Tuff & Lilly) after the Mr found them in a box on the roadside. They were four weeks old then ... now they are eight weeks. I say "were" because Sunday I inked the final paperwork to adopt BOTH. We now have FOUR cats to which I was originally opposed to but my heart melted with each minute spent with the new babies. PLUS my older cats took to them within a day or two and are now overly protective of them. Anyway, the adoption fees were waived over the weekend so the shelter processed our paperwork. There were lots of happy tears that day! All my little ones have been rescued after being left outside by their previous owners. A lady at the shelter got teary when I mentioned we are a household of adopted and abandoned creatures - meaning all 6 of us. We have a colorful history!

Pending house guest is arriving the day before the move. Now how did this happen? *SIGH* A childhood friend of the Mr's is flying in from Jamaica to spend one night at our place and then he'll drive her 3 hours East to where she'll be working for three months. Her arrival date has been a moving target which doesn't make me very happy and gives the two of them anxiety.

Next is the Mr's "food program." OH MY! I'm not a fan of it nor am I a fan of the person who "sold" it to him. HOWEVER, he has been on it for over a month now and has found results, eats differently, feels better and promises to stay away from the craptasticness he used consume. Even though I don't like it I have supported him the best I can ... buying and cooking what's on the page and checking in with him regularly about it. He's lost over 20 lbs in the first month and now believes I should try it. No Thanks! The benefit to me is that we no longer have foods in the house that make me want to binge.

Anyway. My wellness journey has continued through all of this. I started taking my thyroid medication and I believe it's helping. I'm told it will take about a month for it to get into my system fully so I wait and see. I'll retest in July to make sure I'm on the right track or if the dosage needs to be adjusted.

Oh I forgot to mention ... Saturday I have a 5K race in the morning AND that afternoon I get to move stuff. It's gonna be a busy AND exciting day. This will be my 4th time participating in this race so I don't get all jittery prior. The only change this year is that I'll take the public bus to the start line instead of driving or having someone drop me off. This morning I made sure I had all my clothes for the day of race ... I thought I had packed them already. HA! Tonight I pickup my race packet.

One of the big things that will change with my move will be my workouts with my fitness friend. We're still trying to figure it all out. Of course, of late she's been cancelling a lot so it might be a natural breaking point. I remain open to options.

Thanks for reading my novel here ... I've been trying to write this for days on end now. A core dump really.
  Member Comments About This Blog Post:

ENDUROVET 6/11/2013 10:40PM

    & you tell ME I've got a lot going on!!!

(BTW, I updated Part 2, "most of the rest of the story")

I used to have 4 housecats - while I miss my babies, I DON'T miss the litterbox duty ;-)

Also staying strictly away from those evil scales until I line up a few mo' good days...

Comment edited on: 6/11/2013 10:41:18 PM

Report Inappropriate Comment
TRENTDREAMER 6/8/2013 10:36AM

    Congrats on the move, the kittens, your husbands weight-loss (I've had friends lose weight on plans that I wasn't too fond of and know the feeling).

Hope that the race went well! Hope that your husband's friend doesn't cause too much of an issue. Hope that the thyroid medication works out well.


Report Inappropriate Comment
HOLLYS_NEW_LIFE 6/6/2013 7:55PM

    Sounds like you're holding down the fort pretty well, considering. Not much longer, and you'll have your new place.

Report Inappropriate Comment
MANLEYSANDY 6/6/2013 6:16PM

    Sounds like things are moving right along....

I can't believe you have 4 cats, this is awesome!!!

Keep on keeping on, you are amazing!!


Report Inappropriate Comment

Add Your Comment to the Blog Post

Log in to post a comment.