May results --I did not lose 5 pounds. I lost only about half a pound. Indygirl says “lose, maintain, just don’t gain!” But I really want to get off this plateau. For me, weight loss has been excruciatingly slow (unlike weight gain!) My weight loss got sidetracked by all the travel this month (for work, for family, vacation) -- but that is not an excuse. I need better strategies for traveling. I packed healthy food for at least the first day of travel, but beyond that I was usually eating out. For June I also will be traveling frequently, and my work this month will take me to 2 small towns where healthy food choices are limited. The reality of my job is that I will normally have lunch and dinner with clients, and they will choose the restaurant destination.
In May, I exercised regularly, and increased my hiking and hiking uphill. In May I was MUCH better at stretching/yoga; I stretched 2-3 times a week. I overall ate well, but I did have a couple of days of overeating, and one evening I relapsed into a true binge. At least I was able to stop the binge eating behavior at that single evening. I did not improve my sleep but I tried; I used medication to help me sleep most nights (reduced to half dose this month with my doctor’s approval). I reduced my caffeine consumption by about 1/3.
Other May accomplishments: I planted vegetables in containers on my porch; I cleaned the spare bedroom; I donated 3 large boxes of too large clothing and 3 boxes of household miscellaneous goods, and I kept up with challenging and difficult workload in my job.
Goals for June:
1. Work on improving sleep and reducing energy drink consumption
2. This month I will try for no alcohol at all, and NO desserts while eating out. Alcohol is empty calories and aggravates my acid reflux; and no desserts while eating out will really help me with calorie control when traveling. I just don’t need those decadent sweet treats!
3. Drink at least 8 glasses of water daily
4. Moderate eating, focus on healthy foods
5. Exercise daily at least 10 minutes daily. Include higher intensity activities at least 2 x per week
6. Stretch at least 3 times per week
7. Lose 5 pounds by the end of month
I also really want to see a change in my clothing size!! I want to drop ONE SIZE. One size is usually equal to about 10-15 pounds. So August 15 is my target date for dropping one size! Then I want to drop one more size by October 15 – another 10-15 pounds. On October 16 I leave on a cruise vacation, and I really would like to be slimmer and in smaller size clothes. (My friend SpunkyLB and I will eat healthy and exercise on the cruise, so I won’t regain!)
I am mourning the loss of my frozen healthy foods, particularly the salmon! My neighbor brought me several large salmon fillets from his fishing trip to Alaska. They are all defrosted from the fridge breaking while I was away – frozen items are not quite to room temperature like all my milk and veggies, but they are no longer safe to eat.
Other goals for June:
1. Get bids on remodeling my kitchen. I have delayed on this project too long! I know all my appliances are in danger of becoming inoperably one by one, and the kitchen overall needs updating. The lighting is old fluorescent tube lighting that is slowly failing. I delayed on replacing the fridge (and the other appliances), thinking I would replace them when I did the total remodel. So I at least need to get estimates of how much it will cost to remodel. I was limited in my choices for my new fridge, because the space design for my 1970s kitchen was not made for modern size appliances. Maybe I won’t be able to afford my dream kitchen – but I have been saving and dithering for too long.
2. Unpack my summer sandals, and replenish my summer wardrobe with clothing that fits
Here’s a photo from my mom’s 94th birthday! I brought her favorite lemon cake; but she does not have the same tastes for foods any more.