... so I am not going to say that this is the "last time" that I am "once again starting" another weight loss journey/challenge (... yes it is challenging for me!
), but I will say that with each attempt to reach my goal I learn something more about myself and why I am not reaching my goal.
Over the past year I have made progress only to sabbotage myself over the Thanksgiving/Christmas holidays... gaining all the weight and then some back. Here's what I have learned:
EATING: ... I have learned:
- that I do like the paleo/primal way of eating and that it is very effective in not only helping me shed pounds/inches but also in controlling my craving for sugar & reducing my LDL & cholesterol levels, etc.
- that I have to be prepared for those unexpected moments, like the parties at work and those times when I may not feel like cooking. This is where "batch cooking" comes in handy
- that "eating fat" is not the enemy, but eating "too much of it" is!
- that although I follow a paleo/primal lifestyle, for the most part, I eat according to what "works for me"... because there is "no one size fits all" and that includes the paleo/primal lifestyle(s). I am not going to demonize a food because it may not be "allowed" (... and this includes, legumes, new potatoes, rice, corn tortilla's, etc.) because, in moderation/daily rotations, if it does not cause inflammation or stall my weight loss... "its on the menu!", simple as that!
- that I "have to" keep track of my calories/macros... sometimes I eat too much, sometimes I eat too little. I need to have a point of reference for when I am no longer making progress, and even when I get off track as a reference tool to get me going again. It's really not a problem for me, I just have to do it!
EXERCISE... I have learned:
- that the "all or nothing" approach does not work for me and is in fact counter productive. I end up tired, burnt out and have had to stop working out for weeks.
- to acknowledge my limitations, and that every "new workout" is not for me. I have bought way too many workouts that were too hard and really didn't make sense... not naming any particular products here.
& I am not saying that I won't buy any more dvd workouts because obviously, being the vidiot that I am
that just would'nt be true, but what I am saying is that I will wait that "temptation to buy" feeling out and not give in to "impulse buying!"
- that more is not always better. For instance, I have had people suggest to me that I should do full body ST workouts at least 3X's a week. Well, that just doesn't work for me. For one, whenever I do "ONE" full body workout, I am sore for days. And to be honest I really don't like full body workouts. I have found that what works for me is doing "one" full body workout at the beginning of the week and doing "split workouts"... working the body parts that are not sore, during the rest of the week. I feel that I can accomplish more this way and I can vary lifting heavy/less reps or higher reps/less wt, etc. My lower body is usually what stays sore the longest, but I can add a lower body split workout in during the week when the soreness subsides, still giving me @ least 2 days of a lower body workout, and my cardio kickboxing workouts will include some lower body work as well.
- that variety really is the spice of life!... As most of you know by now, I have many, many, many dvd workouts and although to some this may be excessive, it keeps me from getting bored. There are days when I am low on energy and need a less strenuous workout, this is where my pilates and walking videos come in handy... I have dance workouts, like "Hip Hop Abs", for when I "mentally" just don't feel like working out (.. yes, I have those days too!
)... or when I am especially stressed (... of just want to hit something
) I put on my boxing gloves and do a heavy bag workout.... the bottom line is that workout variety keeps me doing "something" rather than "nothing"
SLEEP... I have learned:
- that I need more of it! ... seriously working on this one!
... I have learned that "I will always be a work in progress" because as long as I live I will always be open to change &
new challenges for my physical, mental & spiritual growth. "BALANCE IS KEY"
I and a couple of my
's, KAMA (KAMAPERRY) & NANCY (ATHENA130) will be doing this together. I will be starting on Tuesday, May 28th.
WORKOUTS: This is what my workout schedule will look like, starting from June 2nd:
SUNDAY: Full body ST
MONDAY: AM/PM Walk / PM Cardio TBA
TUEDAY: AM/PM Walk
WEDNESDAY: AM/PM Walk / Split ST
THURSDAY: AM/PM Walk / HIIT / Split ST?)
FRIDAY: AM/PM Walk / Split ST
SATURDAY: ~ ACTIVE REST ~