The Idiot-Proof Diet (notes)
Sunday, May 26, 2013
I don't know when I read this book, but I took notes, who knows when it was.
"All kinds of diets work, the problem is sticking to them."
"For any diet to succeed, an emotional transformation is not only necessary but crucial. That means starting off at a place of self-love, not self-disgust."
My Initial Goals:
- I want to fit into my anniversary dress
- I want to wear a bikini
- I want to feel comfortable naked
- I want to do a pull up
- I want to run a mile
- I want to pass a military fit test
"...suddenly I felt like bursting into tears. I also felt a great rush of anger - rage, really - at what I'd done to myself."
Fit for Life and Oprah Boot Camp
"I am pretty successful in the rest of my life, I couldn't do this one thing."
"Always leave the table while you've got space for more."
"Nobody wants to feel lonely. Fat and lonely is even worse. The combination of being fat and feeling isolated in, and by, your fatness is simply fatal and resolution-sapping. There is something enormously comforting in knowing you're with people in the same boat, who have been where you've been, who know what you're talking about, who know what it's like."
WHY WE EAT TOO MUCH:
1. Because we're unhappy - if we associate food with comfort, we'll eat.
2. Because we're happy - associating food with celebration. Food does not reinforce happiness.
3. Because it's a habit.
4. Because we're bored.
5. Because we're already fat.
6. Because we have a wierd empty feeling - that wierd empty feeling has absolutely nothing to do with food. NOT A THING. It has to do with dissatisfaction or unhappiness or stress or worry, and possibly all 4 four because of your appearance. But it does not have to do with appetite.
7. Because we believe the crap we're told - advertising.
8. Because we're greedy - we got fat, we can get unfat.
GET THIS INTO YOUR HEAD:
1. If you're feeling sad, eating does not make you happy.
2. If you're feeling happy, eating does not make you happier.
3. Eating is not a habit. Nothing you do to yourself is ever a habit. You always have a choice.
4. Eating does not alleviate boredom.
GOOD WAYS TO SHOW YOURSELF REAL LOVE:
1. Go for a walk.
2. Have a catnap.
3. Have a bath.
4. Find your favorite song and dance around like a loony for 3 1/2 minutes.
5. Phone a friend.
6. Get as extravagant as your time or purse situation allows.
"Think to yourself, I see, this is what's happening. It's part of a pattern that's been going on for years, and it is no longer a pattern I want to involve myself in."
"You are in control of what you put in your mouth. NOBODY ELSE."
ACTUALLY, I'M PRETTY GREAT, HERE ARE SOME REASONS WHY:
1. I'm a good friend.
2. I'm actively involved in recovery.
3. I like to do service work.
4. I'm a big kid at heart.
5. I like to learn new things.
6. I am motivated.
7. I am good at computer stuff.
8. I love animals.
9. I have a big heart.
10. I say sorry when I need to, even when I don't want to.
"If you expect to succeed, there is absolutely NOTHING that stands in your way. Your only obstacle is your own negative thinking."
NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS THIN FEELS!
"Avoid buying items that have been obviously fiddled with in some way. You want to be buying and consuming foods that are as natural and unprocessed as possible."
1. Drink 8 large glasses of water per day.
2. Eat breakfast, lunch and dinner (***especially breakfast).
3. Eat a combo of good fats and protein at every meal.
4. Dieting does not mean low-fat.
5. Must eat salad or vegetables every day.
6. Get off butt once per day.
7. Take supplements (***I don't know about this one, I don't like pills)
8. Embrace good fats.
9. Weigh one time per week (***no more, no less).
10. Use a tape measure also.
You are NEVER again going to be as fat as you are today!
Obstacles are what you see if you take your eyes off the goal!