Thursday, May 23, 2013
Mid-way into the 5th day of following Eat to Live and here's a few things I've noticed.
* I will be totally satisfied, but then drive past a fast food joint & get a craving.
* I will be not hungry at all, but get the urge for a cookie, some chips, ANYTHING... well, any kind of junk food
* I am fully capable of making myself a nice cup of herbal tea, and the craving is usually gone long before the water is hot.
* The more I immerse myself in on-line photos of fruit & veggie based meals attractively arranged, the less attractive the gooey fat-laden images in advertising are... that gooey cheese-covered dish just doesn't have the eye appeal of a colorful plate of mixed veggies. Seriously.
* I am feeling so much better! So much more energy, and it's only been 5 days. Also, most of the habitual aches & pains are drastically reduced. I won't say gone, but definitely reduced. I think by the end of 6 weeks, they'll be gone!
* Instead of spending my day on the caffeine/sugar high > crash rollercoaster, I am on an almost constant state of high energy until late in the day when I am tired & fall asleep easily. It's actually kind of weird. Is this what normal is supposed to feel like???
* I do wake up with a slight headache. Water & a few minutes of qigong practice take care of it now. Didn't the first three days.
I also notice that as I look at recipes, I'm actively thinking about the nutritional density of foods and making higher value substitutions when I think the recipe will still turn out OK (like in a smoothie, instead of 1/2 cup non-dairy "milk" I'll use unsweetened cranberry juice). On Saturday when I was doing my shopping, I bought some non-dairy "sour cream" in the vegan section. Said it was soy based. So today, as I read the label (finally got around to that, ha ha) I realize that it has OIL in it. Like, for reals?? Not a lot. But I also realize as I was eating my lunch, that mashed avocado would taste just as good (if not better), pack a greater nutritional punch, and be cheaper, too! So long tofu sour cream substitute!! So, that's quite a few changes for 5 days. And quite a lot to learn.