Since I had to return The Hunger Fix to the library, I wanted to be sure I recorded this chili recipe as is (vs. how I made it based on the ingredients I had on hand).
2 teaspoons olive oil
4 cloves garlic
1 medium onion
1 pound ground turkey (substituted 1 pound ground beef – not that I have anything against ground turkey, I just had beef on hand)
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 – 1 teaspoon chili powder
1 large can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
1.5 cups corn or 1 can (12 ounces)
1.5 cups cooked black beans or 1 can (14 ounces) rinsed and drained*
1.5 cups cooked red kidney beans or 1 can (14 ounces) rinsed and drained*
1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, chopped (optional)
1 teaspoon salt*
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
*omitted – the husband does not like beans and I'm trying to leave out salt where I can
1. Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and onion and cook, stirring frequently, for 1 to 2 minutes (or until softened).
2. Add the ground meat. Brown, being careful not to separate into small bits. Add the cumin, cinnamon, and chili powder.
3. Add the tomatoes and bring the chili to a simmer.
4. Add the corn, beans, bell pepper, and jalapeno pepper. Season with salt and black pepper. Return the chili to a simmer.
5. Remove from heat and garnish with cilantro. Serves 6.
Nutrition Info (Her Way)
- Calories: 360
- Carbs: 43g
- Fat: 9g
- Protein: 27g
Nutrition Info (My Way)
- Calories: 302
- Carbs: 19g
- Fat: 16g
- Protein: 23g
I highly recommend! I would not have thought to include cinnamon in chili. Tasty and very filling.