Wednesday, May 22, 2013
Last night, instead of grilling salmon for dinner (as I mistakenly put it in the freezer - dumb #1), I grilled some grass fed hamburger (made sliders, with whole wheat buns) for the fam. I also made them all some apple/carrot juice. I made some juice for myself, instead of eating the beef and wheat (as I had cheese for lunch, and that was supposed to be my one 'test' for the day).
Went out shopping for clothes, as none of mine fit me. I thought it would be fun, but it was really just overwhelming and frustrating. I've not bought clothes for myself in so long, that I don't even know what my taste is....ugh! I didn't know what size I was, there were too many choices, and all of them seemed too expensive - especially if I'm going to continue to be successful in making my body a better, more healthy shape. But, I ended up closing the store with 3 outfits, and not too much financial damage accrued.
Came home to the smell of oil-popped popcorn. Began mindlessly popping pieces into my mouth (dumb #2) as I endured the frustration of simultaneously picking up the house/cleaning the kitchen and trying to get the kids to go to bed, as it got later and later into the evening. So, now, I'm slipping back into my former habit of evening snacking to 'relax' without even noticing.
Finally got the kids to bed and poured a glass of wine. I won't call that a dumb choice. But, glass #2, and downing 4 more cups of popcorn, and finishing off a bag of trail mix that included M&M's, I will call dumb choices 3, 4, and 5.
Staying up too late and falling asleep on the couch was dumb choice #6.
The end result of all of these dumb choices was waking up feeling like crap; tired, headache, cranky, bloated (although I didn't gain any weight). No morning run for me. No morning Yoga. No exercise of any kind. Got up to late, thoughts in a fog, with a strong desire to make more dumb choices (4 cups of coffee, fried egg and toast with butter for breakfast).
But, I turned the Titanic around friends. Made a good old smoothie with Flax meal, frozen cherries, almond milk, and coconut water. And a big mug of tea. Now water...and more water...more water...more water.
What did I learn?
(1) Sleep is important. This evening happened on the heels of an evening when I only got 5.5 hours of sleep. I had a pretty good day overall, but I was tired, and should have taken a short nap in the afternoon.
(2) Shopping sucks.
(3) One piece of popcorn can lead to 4 cups of it, absent mindfulness.
(4) One glass of wine can lead to two; doesn't HAVE to, and probably shouldn't. This is still an improvement for me, however, because the 'old' me could have easily polished off the bottle.
(5) Two glasses of wine lead to a snowball of bad choices.
(6) Check oneself when under stress. Check. Check. Check. Be aware. Be mindful. Take a moment, or several as needed to regroup.