Tuesday, May 21, 2013
I am reposting my old blog entry as a reminder to myself. This is why you are working so hard and now, training for a 5K.
I have many reasons that I want to get healthy. Having them in my head isn't helping me or anyone else. So I am putting them down here for all to see.
1. I don't want to wind up like my father. He died 2 days before his 54th birthday from a mess of problems. He was ill from the time he was 43. I take after him genetically, but I am not interested in taking after him in this instance.
2. I have a heart condition and extra weight will only make it worse. I want to lose the weight so I don't have more symptoms than I already do. Less symptoms would be even better!
3. Self-esteem. My self-esteem isn't low, but it's not where I want it to be. I don't love the way I look right now and getting healthier and losing that weight will help me improve that.
4. Children. This one is really two in one. First, I know that it will be a challenge to get in shape after I have a baby so I want to figure it out beforehand so I can use the skills for the post-baby body. Second, I want to be able to keep up with my children. Some of my best childhood memories are of doing things with my mom and being active and I want to be that way with my kids (when I have them).
5. Shopping. Ok so this isn't really on par with living longer or taking care of my future children, but if I am being honest this is a reason. I love shopping and i love clothes, BUT not at this weight. I dread going shopping with an extra 30 lbs on. I look forward to the day when I can walk into my closet and slip into my "skinny" clothes.
6. Being happy. I have noticed that as I exercise more I feel happier. And I like being happy so I want to continue to get healthy so I can continue to feel happy.
Those are all the reasons off the top of my head right now. I'm sure there are more, but they aren't coming to mind easily. Do you guys have your top reasons for wanting to get healthy? What are they?
So I was looking around on yahoo.com and found this article, which only further goes as evidence for #4. I would be doing my baby a disservice and potentially not setting them up with the best possible life if I didn't take my weight into account before trying to bring them into the world. This is the link to that yahoo article. news.yahoo.com/moms-obes