P90x - day one (I need my head examined)....
Friday, May 17, 2013
I am nuts. Yep. That is the only logical explaination. I started P90x yesterday. Two of my coworkers have done it and they look amazing. So here is my thought process: I have been working out steadily for almost 5 months on my own, did my first 5K and now I am just stuck. I am not losing weight, I am not firming up, I am just at a stalemate. You can't just do the same thing over and over and expect different results - therefore, I have to change things up. Enter P90x!
I have had the discs of this program just sitting around for a few years (collecting dust) because I just didn't think I was ready for this amount of intensity. I was thinking that I might be ready now, even if I can't do the entire workout, I might be able to do one rep to their 10. Anyway, it is a start!
So....here is my take on day one -
According to the program, day one is Chest and Back plus Ab ripper X. So, after a warm-up, they take you right in to the body work - 12 sets of 12 reps (or whatever you can handle) of alternating push-ups /pull-ups! Yep, you heard me, PULL-UPS!!!!! Have I EVER been able to do a freaking pull-up? Uh, no. So, I did the pushups and then did pull-downs with an exercise band.
I then sent a FB message to the co-worker friend who does this workout regularly and asked her about the pull-ups.
1) does she perform them?
2) how did she start or could she do them right off the bat?
3) How should I start since I can not support my weight at this current state of fitness?
4) Is there an alternate exercise that I could substitute?
She answered me right away (it was 5am so I was shocked) and here are her answers:
1) she has perfected them and can now to 40 at a time.
2) she started with lat pull-downs because she has a weight machine in her home.
3) I should do either the lat pull-downs like she did or use the pull-up assist machine at my gym (I will have to get instructions on how to use it first).
4) she said to not substitute any exercises - this program really worked for her like no other program ever has and she thinks I should just work up to it and do it!
Whew. Ok. Today is Plyometrics so wish me luck. I am still sore from yesterday but hey, that is to be expected. I imagine I shall be sore for this whole 12 week program. I just hope I can stick it out. Insert encouraging SP friend comments here.......thanks guys. I know you believe in me and I am not a quitter.
I can do this!