GI Warriors Blog 5-11-13
Saturday, May 11, 2013
Last month Gunny Gym was assigned some high ground to capture. The war on SCALE had been going well until recently. Now he was trapped on a dreaded plateau between 221 and 217. Yesterday they were even driven back to 220. April yielded only one pound and the monthly goal was four. Gunny Gym’s dreams of just maintaining 195 seemed far off indeed. His motto “persistence is much more important than perfection” had served him well in this campaign but now it seemed like the definition of insanity “doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result”. Gunny Gym struggled for new motivation. Where had he gone wrong? Then he remembered what an old SP coach had told him “Today’s progress is determined by yesterday’s choices”. He went back to the basics. What were the 10 important tactics of a GI warrior?
1. Eat three meals and three snacks. Don’t skip meals.
2. In phase one stick with the green light products.
3. Shrink your portions, particularly of meat rice and pasta.
4. Ensure that each meal has the appropriate amount of protein, carbohydrates and fat.
5. Eat at least three times the normal amount of fruit and vegetables.
6. Drink eight glasses of water each day and limit alcoholic beverages to less then 3 a week.
7. Exercise 30 minutes every day.
8. Talk to other GI warriors for mutual support. Develop some military like camaraderie.
9. Set realistic goals. Ten percent of your starting weight at the rate of a pound a week.
10. Make this fun; we are going to be doing it for a long time.
The Mayo Clinic Food Pyramid and the GI Diet Plate will bring us back to basics. The Mayo Clinic weight pyramid has changed to place fruits and vegetables as the bottom or most important part of any healthy diet as opposed to the bread cereal and starch group. The GI diet recommends the same thing. Picture in your mind the GI plate at every meal and snack. It is one quarter meat/dairy/egg (protein & fat), one quarter starch/bread (Carbohydrate, fat & fiber), and one half vegetables (Carbohydrate, fiber, & added fat). If you notice fat can be in all three categories fiber only comes naturally in one group so make a conscious effort to add fiber and reduce fat in each group. Stock up on fruits, vegetables, Oat bran, high fiber bread, egg beaters and smart balance at the beginning of your week and work them into all of your meals and snacks. Keep your meat portions small and your green light vegetable portions large. Try to get more of your protein from fish. Add oat bran or barley in cereals and soups. Use hi fiber bread. Use Smart balance spread for butter and egg beaters for eggs when it doesn’t make a difference to taste. Try to figure out how to balance each snack and meal. If you do this right you will not be hungry and you will lose weight. Try to judge where you are going wrong and make little changes till you get it right.
Gunny Gym was encouraged and anxious to renew the attack because he knew “tough times don’t last tough people do”.